Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i need help my 4 yr old wont listen im constenly yelling at him plus he has adhd i need help

my son has adhd he seems to be better at school but at home im always yelling at him to stop doing stuff he should know not to do. I have asked th school how he is doing and they told me that he has the worlds record for time outs. But when i send them forms to get my kid on meds they say he is doing good. which i dont belive that cause he is going off the walls at home and i cant even take him to the store without him running around and being loud. Even in the car is a hard time he can ask a question and i will answer it like three times and he will just continue to ask the same thing i need help.

Answer Question

Asked by fairy3 at 3:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Has your son been properly diagnosed by a Developmental Pediatrician? I ask, because my older son (turning 7) has Aspberger's and was very much like your son when he was 4 (much calmer now without the use of medication). If so, then THEY should be the one prescribing medication if that is the route you want to take...NOT the school. If you have not seen a specialist, you should consider it, your son MAY have more than just ADHD. It never hurts to rule anything out, and the younger your child is when addressing their developmental issues, the better the outcome.

    Answer by LoriKeet at 3:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • as for the adha i am not sure but my sister has a similar scream fest with her 2 oldest girls (1 and 2 years old) and her problem is that she doesn't follow through with them she's constantly yelling and threatening to spank them or put them on time out but never does what i do is fllow through and never raise my voice i know its easier said then done but take a deep breathe and count to 10

    Answer by tasha080808 at 3:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • I would recommend altering his diet before choosing to go the route of meds. First off, no red die. This is very common in children to have a red die allergy that causes hyper activity. Next, I would add to that taking him off of white foods, sugar, flower, rice... all of which have a lot of sugar and can lead to hyper activity. And finally, stop yelling at your child. A child's brain is not programed to understand when you are yelling, so they actually do not process anything you say. I have been through a similar situation with a friend and she uses Love and Logic with great success. Good luck

    Answer by bearandtreemom at 3:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • What does his psychologist say? We don't have an official diagnosis yet, but my son (he's 4) is seeing a psychologist and we've implemented a behavioral modification plan in an attempt to help him control his impulsive behavior. (he's suspect for Asperger's and ADHD)

    I'd also speak with the developmental pediatrician. S/he may have more ideas to help you specific to your son.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • I have a girl and I think after watching my sisters boys that raising boys is in some ways harder. They are programed at a young age the being rough and running and yelling is okay b/c they are boys. girls sit pretty and talk quietly etc. I agree yelling doesn't get you any where. It's funny when I think that I have had it with my daughter when I simply expain to her what needs to be done thats when she listens and I wonder why didn't I do that in the beginning. The whole ADD ADHD thing I am not completely aware of but we don't drug puppies because they have a short attention spand why do that with children?? Sometimes I think we train puppies better then we do our children. We don't lock a puppy in a room for hours and make them sit over and over again....

    Answer by CowgirlCutter at 1:36 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

  • I agree the little guy needs to be assessed. I'm sure if you brought your son into his regular doctor's and explained the situation they should be able to head you in the right direction. Also search your phone book for "child development services' agency in your area. All you have to do is call for an appointment and they ill do a complete assessment -it's federally funded so it's FREE- and tell you what he needs for services. They can provide all the services and support he needs and services for your family.
    I know it is EXTREMELY difficult to deal with a little guy with these issues - been there, done that - he's not being deliberately difficult. He is just reacting to his racing physiology. Reach out for help, yell, scream and kick your feet if need be, the only one that has this boys best interest at heart is his parents. So dig in and don't take no for an answer!

    Answer by 18yearslata at 1:40 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.