What's the going rate for house cleaning services?

For several years my husband has been trying to get me to hire someone to clean our house. I prefer to do it myself, but I am considering it. My house is not huge (3 bedroom, 2 baths). How much should I expect to pay for basic house cleaning services?

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Money & Work

• We have someone come each week.
    For a house that size you prob would pay $50
    Usually they do it hourly, depending on how dirty it is.
    People with pets may get charged more.
    Or people who are just super messy.
    Try it - see if you like it!
    debbidotcom

Answer by debbidotcom at 4:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• We used to have someone come once a month to clean the house and she chared $60. It was three bedrooms and 2 and a half bathrooms
    k.alexander

Answer by k.alexander at 5:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would have to say about 65.00 depending on where you live.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• when i do it, i normally charge $15-20 per room, depending on the family and how much needs to be done.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My mom does this for a living. For a basic dust, mop, vacuum, clean the bathroom(s) and kitchen, she charges 30 bucks an hour. If someone wants their oven scrubbed out, or they have a big mess from like, a party, she'll tack on a bit more depending on what the job is. When I cleaned, I liked charging people a flat rate for the basic clean...that way they didn't think I was taking my time and trying to milk the clock. Lol.
    o0oandreao0o

Answer by o0oandreao0o at 7:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I used to have my own cleaning and organizational service in Maine. I charged a flat rate of $21.00 an hour. That was 3 years ago now so the price would now be about $27.00 an hour. I cleaned many homes the size of yours and it took me about 2 hours to thouroughly clean. My clients nerver had a complaint and had me back weekly. If you are very particular about how things are cleaned however, having someone elsa clean your home might not work out so well for you. I know I could never have someone else clean my ouse. They wouldn't do it "right" lol. Good luck.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 10:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• About $50. If only once a month then a little more.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all the answers! You have given me a pretty good idea of what I should expect to pay. I am definitely going to give it a try at least for a few months during my busy season at work; I want to spend as much of my non-working time with my family as I can, and I think this will actually help me do that.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 9:54 AM on Dec. 31, 2008