Will you please help me?

Dear Hiring Manager,
I have been wanting to grasp an opportunity to work front desk or receptionist for your hotel ever since I saw it in the making. I would really appreciate your consideration for either of these positions.
Being a self-motivated, fun person, I am positive that I will make a difference. I am very friendly and have been known for consistently using proper telephone etiquette. Throughout my experience working in the service industry as a waitress or cashier, I have never failed to adhere to proper credit, cash-handling policies and procedures.
As a kid growing up, I have always liked, and still do, enjoy the feel of a hotel environment. It would be wonderful if I can get the chance to work in such a place that inspires me.
I am excited to be able to discuss this job opportunity with you. My resume is enclosed. I can easily be reached

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Dear Sir or Madam (use Mr. or Ms. ____ if known):
    I am interested in applying for the (front desk/receptionist position) as advertised in the (December 30th edition of The Boston Globe).
    I have extensive experience in the hospitality industry as a waitress and cashier, and I'm confident that my high-degree of professionalism and interpersonal relationship skills will lend itself to being able to successfully manage the varied demands and responsibilities of this position as well as meet your company's goals and objectives.
    I would appreciate the opportunity to arrange a meeting with you at your earliest convenience to discuss this employment opportunity. I can be reached at home at: ____-____-______.
    Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
    Sincerely,
    Me
    encl.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• CONTINUED..

Do you think that is good? Please give me any suggestions as to what to add or take out.

also the end got cut off because there was no more room. Thank you!
    Anonymous

• As a former business manager myself, it's much better to go in person. I would never bother with letters or phone calls when it came to hiring because if you want the job you should be doing the extra work and come to me. Plus, it's easier to gauge how professional someone is in person.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 3:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would personally bring the resume to a hotel that is hiring. That way you can speak to the manager as well as give him/her the cover letter and your resume. I think the letter is great though, short sweet, and to the point. That's all it needs, your resume should do the rest.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• sbastille does it make a difference if the manager told me to go ahead and come in, give him my resume, and get an application?? does that mean no cover letter is needed? thanks!

Anonymous

• thanks kristal.. I have an appt. to meet with him tomorrow morning. I wasn't going to send it, just bring it in with me. I'm debating now whether a cover letter is even needed now?
    Anonymous

• I'm a former HR Manager...I cleaned up your cover letter so it flows better. Feel free to copy and paste. The parts in (____) are for you to customize. The more specific the information, the less it will appear like a mass mailing. I also recommend applying to places that DO have advertisements--even if just in the front window. GOOD LUCK!

LoriKeet

• lorikeet thanks that was great! but then again, I already have an appointment with the manager as I said before, to give the resume and get an application, do I still have to put that I hope to have a meeting arranged? he doesn't mean an interview right then and there does he?
    Anonymous