Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If some one reported you for elderly abuse and the claims were false,

do you have any recourse for this? If the person who filed the claim was a family member who is a social worker abusing their power to cause problems in your life, would reporting them to their employer cause them to be investigated?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (14)
  • if you have proof yeah. but anyone can make an accusation like that. have proof and make sure you arent wrong.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • maybe maybe not its hard to say. they may think you are doing it becuz you are being investigated for elderly abuse. its a sticky situation. I used to work in a nursing home as a CNA and had a friend who was reported and she didnt do anything wrong. lucky for her they found her innocent buts its a pain.

    Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • The case was dropped because no abuse was found. I was told by the case worker this person would have to make three false reports before something would be done by the state.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • yea if u can prove it they can get into a lot of trouble....

    Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • yea if u can prove it they can get into a lot of trouble....

    How do I go about reporting this person?


    Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • cont. I can prove it was false.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • Yes I would, it's against the law to file flse reports.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • as long as you have proof of it and not just hear say.

    Answer by mrssundin at 5:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • Anyone, even a social worker, can call and make a concern report to social services on a situation they see as dangerous and abusive. In fact, social workers are obligated to call and report situations of neglect or abuse. Even if it is in their own family they cannot ignore it. I would think that if you have concerns that this particular person is abusing her power you could talk to her supervisor or the director of that social service center with your concerns.

    Answer by frogdawg at 7:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • Many social workers are obligated by law to report abuse if they SUSPECT it. This does not mean that some allegations will not be false... they are not required to prove the allegation before reporting, it is based upon them having a reason to suspect abuse/neglect. It should be a 'reasonable' suspicion of abuse/neglect, which is where a grey area comes in.
    Just as an example, in my province people who suspect child abuse or neglect and are a member of certain professions (social workers, teachers, doctors/nurses) who do not report are mandated by law to report to social services. They can be charged if they do not report. And yes, I do have a couple of friends who were investigated by social services- both referred through the ER since they had daredevil kids who came in more than once with injuries. Both were cleared in the subsequent investigation.

    Answer by Freela at 12:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.