How do I get my son TO STOP WANTING TO DRINK CONSTANTLY ??

My son is 2.5 years old and HE IS CONSTANTLY WANTING TO DRINK!! he goes to the fridge and gets out the milk./juice or whatever and brings me HIS CUP and tells me he wants a drink!! so I will give him 1 glass HE DOWNS IT ( I MEAN IT HE DOESN'T TAKE THE CUP AWAY FROM HIS MOUTH TIL IT IS ALL GONE) then he is wanting more... I am having to tell him NO he CAN'T have anything to drink because if i let him he would SERIOUSLY DRINK about 4 or even 5 glasses back to back!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk to your pedi about this.
    Anonymous

• You should let your child drink as much as they want to. There is no reason for you to limit their liquid intake, although I might add that you should try switching him to water. Juice is bad for both their teeth and their sugar intake; and Milk in excess isn't good either. I would also mention this at your next check up to your pediatrician.
    bearandtreemom

Answer by bearandtreemom at 3:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Please have him checked for juvenile diabetes. Excessive thirst was the only sympton my husband had at 2 years old.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 3:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Yes this is something you really need to talk to your doctor about, something could be wrong with him thats serious. I saw this on the discovery health channel and it was a small child about the same age and he was doing the same thing. They ended up finding out his kidneys weren't working correctly or something like that by finding some sort of protien or something in his eyes. It was very complicated but serious and life threatening if not corrected.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 3:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Talk to his dr. When I was a child, I had a medical condition that made thirsty all the time. I can't remember what it was called, but it meant that even if I wet the bed, wet my pants, whatever, my parents had to let me have a drink whenever I wanted b/c I was truly thirsty and would get dehydrated. Let him have his drinks, and talk to his dr. It could be a real problem.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Let him DRINK. But make it water 95% of the time and get him to the DOCTOR ASAP. Excessive thirst can be an early sign of some major health issues such as diabeties, kidney issues etc.
    Is he using the bathroom excessively as well?????
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• yes AS MUCH AS HE DRINKS HE PEES JUST AS MUCH I AM TALKING PEEING CONSTANTLY
    Anonymous

• Um, seriously, this sounds like type 1 diabetes. You must get him to a doctor ASAP. If it turns out thats what he's suffering from, he can die and soon too. I'm not trying to scare you . . . well, actually I am. You MUST get type 1 diabetes ruled out. Children have died from untreated diabetes. Extremely serious!!!!
    littlevic

Answer by littlevic at 8:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Definitely get him checked, and if there's nothing wrong, still just let him drink. My three year old drinks as much as the rest of the house put together, she just dehydrates easily. She gets 1 cup of milk (8 oz) two of watered down juice (so 8 oz of actual juice) and about a gallon of water a day. She'll wake in the night crying that she's thirsty.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 8:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think some posters are right. He could have diabetes. I know that when my two year old keeps getting in to the fridge, it's not because he's really thirsty but because he's hungry
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2008