Do some Agnostics and Atheists not believe in the

existence of God because they do not see those that deserve punishment receiving it? If God exists, why doesn't he/she punish those that are truly bad and demonic human beings? Why is it that bad people see to prosper and those that are good seem to not prosper?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I can't answer that. I know why I feel the way I do, I can't expect it to be the same reason for anyone else.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I don't want to offend anyone with my answer, but I just see higher powers almost as a fantasy. For me it doesn't have anything to do with not seeing results or anything, because I plainly wouldn't expect to. I don't know how others feel though.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• First of all there are plenty of good people who prosper and plenty of bad ones that don't.  

Secondly, I can only speak for myself, but I don't believe in god because the whole concept of some supernatural deity controlling everyone's lives is just ridiculous.  God has no more credibility for me than Santa Claus and the tooth fairy.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• He does punish them when they leave this earth there is a little thing called hell. The good people go to heaven.
    Anonymous

• Agnostics don't NOT believe in the existence of God. They accept not knowing.
    And, no, generally, I don't think that is why either group chooses their beliefs. I don't think athiests discount God because of evil or demonic beings because they don't believe in evil or demonic beings! As an agnostic, I don't believe in demons, hell, or or any other supernatural explanations for bad things. I see sickness and people that have been wounded very badly and the cycle of violence that follows that, but that never makes me further question the existence of God.
    Also, I don't really tend to see bad people prospering and good people not. I think prosperity is a subtle thing that you cannot always see just by looking at someone or knowing what they own.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 3:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I can't speak for other Atheists, but I don't believe in God for the same reason I don't believe in Zeus, the Easter Bunny, Santa, Ganesh or the Tooth Fairy. My beliefs have nothing to do with being disappointed that an imaginary man in the sky is not shooting bolts of lightening at bad people.
    Anonymous

• I am agnostic and believe in god or some kind of higher power. But I don't believe he/she interferes with us. I think we were created and then sort of let loose. No controlling by god and nothing happens for a reason and nothing is planned by god. We are not god's puppets to do with as he/she pleases. God does not do anything to anybody while on earth, imo. As far as an afterlife, I think you are rewarded and punished for your behavior but I am not exactly sure as to how. I like being an agnostic because I never rule anything out- so in my mind- Jesus could be the son of god...but so could Ghandi or Mother Teresa... the Chrisian bible could be the only right text...but so could the Quran, Baghavad Gita, or the Hebrew Bible. I like to pull from all religions and I believe they all started out as one and branched off.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 6:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I don't believe because logically and realistically the existence of a god makes about as much sense as saying my radio has miniature people in it singing songs.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Actually agnostics do believe in a higher power we just aren't sure what that higher power is, etc, atheist don't. believe in any of it at all. That said, it has nothing to do with people receiving punishment for what good or bad they have done... I personally don't believe that that is what made me choose to be agnostic. There are just somethings in certain religions that I can't believe. IMO (example: I do not believe first that a God would make a man be homosexual only to banish him to hell later for his own mistake.. ) What did make me think there is more to life than this is when I was little my house was haunted... I know there is something else out there, but there is no religion that truly supports all that I believe or do not believe.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Speaking only for myself, I am an atheist because there is simply no logic in belief. There are to many inaccuracies and illogical fallacies to place my belief in any religion. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. But, your question is interesting and it reminds me of something I once read: "Why doesn't God stop bad things from happening? Either he can or he can't...if he can't then he isn't omnipotent and therefore not a God and if he can but doesn't, he is certainly not just and loving...either way, not worth my time." Not sure where I first read that but it has always stuck out in my mind.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 7:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2008