Trying to Break the Paci

my son will be two in March. My husband thinks it time for him to get off the paci. I kinda agree. I just dont kno how to do it. Do I just makeh im go cold turkey and just take it away. I took away from him when he woke up this morning and hes been crying for it ALL day. And now he wont lay down without his paci. He has a stuffed elmo that he carries around so I thought that would make it easier. Do you ladies have any tips?

Sweetiemama717

Asked by Sweetiemama717 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just keep it away, don't give in. He may cry for it for three days.
    Anonymous

• Continue to give him his elmo. The first few days are tough but he will forget about usually in about 3 days or so. Good luck
    Anonymous

• Take it away and be done with it. After a few days, it's all done and over. You've already taken it this morning. If you give it back now, it's only going to be harder and take longer the next time you try to take it. He will cry harder and longer waiting for you to give it back.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Clip off a small piece of the end of it and he probably wont' want it anymore...it's a trick my mom tauht me
    Anonymous

• It's gonna take him way longer than 3 days to forget about that thing. I have heard of the cutting the tip trick, you should try it. I would go slowly, don't do cold turkey b/c he'll just flip out. You have to realize that thing is a huge part of his world and his daily routine. It would be like somebody taking your car away cold turkey. It's huge to him. I have started limiting my daughter's paci time to just naps and bedtime, and we'll go from there to only bedtime and no naps, and then all the way rid of it. The gradual method should be a little easier on the kid. My daughter is 2 in February.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 3:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• The cold turkey thing is great if you have the patience. Otherwise, many of my friends have done a gradual, but consistent thing. First, they only for it for naps and bed time, then took away for naps and eventually for bed. But to make it work, you have to be very consistent and steady. Like the first week, no paci for play time, only for naps and bed time. The second week, no paci for naps, then the third week, none at all. Sometimes its a little easier on you if you go gradual.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I agree with ANON...

We cut the tips off of our daughters' binkies and left them for them to find. It really was much less traumatic for everyone than I thought it would be. They hardly got upset at all.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• i know people who have done it gradually first only for naps and bedtime then only bedtime. I have heard to say something about a new baby needing one and seeing if it is okay for that baby to have his. fortunately my daughter didnt like pacifiers or sucking on her fingers or anything else. if the gradual doesnt work then he will give it up when he is ready. sometimes they have to decide for themselves. good luck
    Elly219

Answer by Elly219 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I had great success with cutting off the tip of the paci. Every 2 days cut off more and more. My daughter got so frustrated trying to suck it that she threw it in the trash. So then it was her decision. It wasn't mommy is being mean and taking my paci. She is 22 months and paci free!! :)

singlemom5481

Answer by singlemom5481 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• We are doing the Paci Fairy technique tonight. You collect all the pacis for the Paci Fairy who comes in the night to take them to very little babies who need them. Then she leaves a gift for the big boy or girl who gave up their pacis for the ilttle babies. This is on the SuperNanny site explained well. My son was not too happy and had to suck every one of them to say goodbye, but he did leave them willingly and didn't complain.. I wrote a note for the Paci Fairy from him asking her to please take the pacis for the little babies and he helped sign it.
    AngelWendyMama

Answer by AngelWendyMama at 3:08 AM on Jan. 1, 2009