is internet dating a good idea

Hello everybody, I was talking to my cousin the other day and he was telling me that he recently set up a profile on an internet dating site, I also am still in contact with an ex and he said he met his new love on a site as well. And so now I'm considering it. Good idea or no

themommy160

Asked by themommy160 at 3:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Relationships

• My fiance and I met on Match....we laugh about it...At first he did not want to tell anyone...he thought it was taboo....Sounds silly but when I joined match, I knew what types of guys I would go out on date with. Crazy one here but I would not go out with anyone who did not have a sign compatable to mine. Hey I have been all around the zodiac and back...I knew what type of man I wanted. I am 100% happy with my fiance..He is my stubborn but very loving Taurus!
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It's a great idea. That is how I met my boyfriend. We've been together for almost 2 years and I've never been happier in a relationship. The internet personals are only a tool to meet people. It is up to you to use good judgement and caution when first meeting anyone. Also - nothing is a magical formula in finding true love. If you are in the right state of mind, taking care of your mind and your body - you can find love and it doesn't matter how you find each other. It's just getting out there.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• There's a lot of nice people out there that are honest and sincere but keep in mind that people on here tell you what they want you to know and sometimes are making things up, exaggerating and married etc... some of the nicest people I've ever met was online (friends not boyfriends)
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 3:35 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I met my husband online almost 8 years ago.  We met on an online dating site and e-mailed for a while then talked on the phone for a couple weeks before we met in person,  From the day we met in person we have been head over heels in love.   We have been married 6 years now and have two kids.  I don't think that it is for everyone, but for me it was wonderful. 

Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Bad idea.
    Anonymous

• I met my fiance on singlesnet and my father met his wife online. Just take your time and talk to people a while before you meet them. If they aren't willing to wait then they aren't worth your time. And be safe. I used to always tell one of my girlfriends when I was going out with a guy I met online....but I would tell them if I was going out with a guy I met at the grocery store too so that's just how I am.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 3:41 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It's perfectly fine if you are smart about it.

Go to a reputable site first off. Anything that looks low budget, or isn't fairly well known I would stay away from. I wouldn't try too many things like yahoo personals (perfectly well known but it's not exactly geared to making actual matches.) Avoid going to dating chatrooms. They can be pretty skeevy.

Be careful of what information you share. Just like they tell children.

When you find a potential man, don't jump up and meet him at his house. Talk to him via email, then phone, and then in person. Meet in a public place, obviously.

All these things are common sense but some women just go for it.

Anyways...I think online dating is a perfectly acceptable way of meeting people. Just be safe.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 3:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Use common sense And never really talk about your kids because alot of perves do go after single moms just to get close to the kids. People may hate me for being honest but it is the truth.
    Back a few years ago I met a guy who wanted to meet my 3 girls right away. When I explained that my kids and who I date are 2 different worlds, my girls never met a guy until I knew it was a sure thing. Well this guy got really mad about it, it was a redflag for me.
    Goodluck!
    Anonymous

• YES! I met my husband on match- it really worsk. You have to weed out the frogs but it can work:)
    jenh33081

Answer by jenh33081 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think it's the best w.ay to meet ppl. I met my SO that way and dated several other men I met online. They were all great. I recommend it but I also recommend caution. check them out first at www.dontdatehimgirl.com or www.womansavers.com and make sure they are not married. I go to zabasearch.com and look up his name to make sure he is who he says he is and not a made up name. Then I check to see any females at the same address about the same age. It never hurts to research the local criminal records at the local court's online site. Just be safe.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:58 PM on Dec. 30, 2008