Post Partum Depression Experiences Anyone?

Ive struggled with depression and have heard that mothers with a history have a greater risk of PPD. Since I became pregnant Ive been off my anti depressants and plan to breastfeed, but I don't want PPD to deter me from having a good relationship with my child. Any warning signs I should look out for? How ill I know? How will my husband know?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in General Parenting

• I too had depression before becoming pregnant and I didnt experiene any PPD with my first baby. But I did with my second. Here are some things I experienced:
    I didnt have any desire to care for my baby. I made DH get up with her every night.
    I couldnt find motivation to get up and make it through the day
    I almost resented my child for changing my life (she was not a planned baby)
    I was more irratable and less patient with my other child as well

I noticed that I felt different but DH also started to notice a change in my personality. I was put on Zoloft and things did get better. I didnt breastfeed though so I dont know how that medication can affect feeding your baby.
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 3:41 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• You will probably know--especially if you have a history of depression. Also, my doctor's office always did a PPD screening at the six-week postpartum checkup. I have a history of depression also. I was off my meds for two pregnancies and the year+ that I breastfed both. This is my third pregnancy, and I'm not doing as well this time. My doctor says it is OK to go back on my meds while breastfeeding. I'm doing the research on this now. Talk to your doctor about your options. Good luck.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2008