Weaning off the breast

Can anyone tell me how u wean a baby from the breast? My daughter is 15mos and I'm stil breast feeding her in the morning and at nite thats all.. She gets juice through out the day.. Do you think its too early?

Abbysmom08820

Asked by Abbysmom08820 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You've pretty much weaned her already. Leave it. She'll stop on her own.

If you really want to lead it, drop her least favorite feeding tomorrow. Then next week, drop the next, and so on, one feeding a week till gone.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would say just stop doing it, i thought kids after age 1 were suppossed to be off of breast milk? What does your obgyn or pediatrician say?
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Funny how most people that would tell you to wean still drink cow breastmilk. OBs and peds are rarely experts in human lactation and its benefits to our children; they usually give crappy advice.

It would be more healthful to nurse throughout the day and juice once a day and actual fruit in between. Even 100% fruit juice is still concentrated sugar ("natural" sugar is still sugar) and is not healthful.

My first nursed until 3yrs and my 2.5 is still nursing, but I cut fruit juice wayyyyyyyyyyy back by the time I had my second and normally only use it as the base for a fruit and veggie smoothie and not as a stand alone beverage.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think if she were ready to wean you wouldn't have to ask for help.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• And don't trust anyone's advice who claims babies are "supposed" to wean at a year. That is a false statement for so many reasons- a person who would claim this isn't giving very good or accurate information or advice.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2008