what do you do when crying it out does not work

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Soothe your baby, teach them that you are there for them & they can trust you. Comfort them. Get into a nightly routine where they feel comfortable-and let them take the lead in their sleep issues. CIO is dangerous anyway.
    Anonymous

• Except for babies that overheated or had erratic heartbeats causing stroke or heart attack. Some CIO situations have even been linked to SIDS. They think the baby finally went to sleep, and they actually stopped breathing or aspirated vomit & died. You're basically teaching your child that they can't trust you to comfort them when they need you during the night. Dangerous and sad.
    Anonymous

• I think letting a baby 'cry it out' is very wrong. It's neglecting your child. How do you know for sure they are just trying to get to sleep? Babies can't SPEAK, so they cry. I never let my now 5 year old son cry himself to sleep. And he is a happy, well adjusted child who does not 'have problems his whole life'. That's crap.
    Anonymous

• If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. I couldn't listen to my child scream and cry for me. It seems unnatural. Set a routine, let them know you will be there and will come when needed, but it's not to play or talk. They will learn to fall asleep/stay asleep when they are ready.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 4:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• "Children have to learn to put themselves to sleep, or they will have problems doing it their whole lives."

Sweeping generalization there. We are not even speaking of "children" but infants. Infants do not have "wants", only "needs".

Crying infants experience an increase in heart rate, body temperature and blood pressure. These reactions are likely to result in overheating and, along with vomiting due to extreme distress, could pose a potential risk of SIDS in vulnerable infants.

When a baby is upset, the hypothalamus produces cortisol. In normal amounts cortisol is fine, but if a baby is exposed for too long or too often to stressful situations (such as being left to cry) its brain becomes flooded with cortisol and it will then either over- or under-produce cortisol whenever the child is exposed to stress. Too much cortisol is linked to depression and fearfulness; too little to emotional detachment and aggression.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• i dont let my son cry it out bc u never want anyone to go to bed upset, i feel that they wont get a
    good sleep and therefore wont have a good day once awakening. this is my preference. I sing a lullby.. the same one over and over amd rock him till he's sle
    SinkorSwim913

Answer by SinkorSwim913 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I forgot to say that I've co-slept with both my children, though I did not figure out how to nurse laying down until my first was 4months. I used a nursing nest with my second until she was large enough to correctly position herself. I wear a nursing bra to bed and make sure my child has easy access to minimize my sleep disturbance.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• CIO never works.
    Crying isn't meant to please mum, it's meant to make you react to your baby and want to cuddle it.... Soooo.. Do what nature intended- pick your baby up and figure out what's wrong.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Babies need to learn how to go to sleep and back to sleep if woken on their own. Cry it out can work, but may not be enough. We tried the Magic Sleepsuit and it really worked. Read about it at www.magicsleepsuit.com
    Anonymous