Pulmonary Embolism

I had a Pulmonary Embolism in November due to the NuvoRing. the Estrogen caused blot clots which got stuck in my lungs..We were planning on having another child in 2009 but I was told absolutely not. While I can't get pregnant now, I can't use any hormonal birth control and I was advised not to use condoms, because they are not effective enough? Anyone have any other suggestions??
Also anyone know when i can safely get pregnant..My doctor says I may want to rethink having more kids..I am not really ready to do that.
She said even years from now, it would still be considered high risk.
Has this happened to anyone out there?? i could really use a friend...

2cutemommies

Asked by 2cutemommies at 4:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• If the hormone is out of your system then I dont' see a reason why you can't get pregnant. If the bloodclot was formed from that. You've never had problems with blood clots before right? Condoms are a way...they aren't 100% but neither is anything else. I would seek a 2nd opinion from another OB. Why would you have to rethink having kids? That's weird to me
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 4:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would get a second opinion. This diagnosis seems a little extreme to me. The hormones were proably too strong for you handle. The hormones work themselves out of you system in a few weeks and regulate on their own. A smaller dose of hormone will probably help. I hope you are able to conceive. Good luck
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would consult a genetic specialist before scrapping the idea of having another baby. Some women, like me are genetically prone to blood clots. I have a clotting disorder and am 24 weeks pregnant with my second girl. I have to take special shots every day but my daughter and I are fine, I'm not currently on any restrictions but would have to take the meds again should I conceive another child. I would suggest you talk to a genetic counselor too, they may be able to give you some insight on what exactly caused your embolism and whether or not it would be safe for you and the new baby to attempt another pregnancy. I wish luck and God Bless you and your family.
    hannahs-mommy

Answer by hannahs-mommy at 8:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My father, in his 60's had a pulmonary embolism. What I understand is that once you have it, it can shrink, but never quite disappear. With that being said, I can understand the need to consider your future pregnancy being high risk, but not impossible. You will simply need a close relationship with your doctor with frequent visits to monitor your health. I think that when you were told not to use condoms, it was probably meant, not alone. You are probably expected to use two forms of protection. I would suggest making a phone call to the doctors nurse and tell her that you want to understand that conversation better. Nurses have a way of explaining things better, which is why we sometimes prefer them to the doctor! If this was a long time ago and you are not comfortable re-asking the same question, consider using a spermicide along with the condoms and being faithful to this practice.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 8:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• thank you guys for all the advice. I t really helps to talk to other people about things. Because of you guys...I have made another appt to see another doctor (and not my Gyno) to have a sit down with me and my BF so I can really understand what is going on.
    I won't give up hope.
    2cutemommies

Answer by 2cutemommies at 9:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• No problem!!! I hope you get good news. Let me know!
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:29 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I had a PE during my pregnancy. I was lucky, it was a small one. I had to take two doses of Lovenox daily throughout the entire pregnancy, and now I am on Coumadin. I am afraid to go ogg of it. I was told that pregnancy is fatal to my body, the pregnancy caused the Embolism. I was told that if I want to have more children, I will again have to do the shots. I chose to have my tubes tied to prevent anymore clots. I hope it helps (I am already blessed with two children). On the other hand, if I had decided not to get the tubal ligation, My Dr. told me that the Mirena IUD was a very safe contraceptive. It has no estrogen and very little progestrin(sp?). He said it is just as effective as a tubal ligation, lasts 5 years, and can be removed if you are ready to concieve.
    I wound up getting Mirena anyway, to help lighten my periods. Periods on Copumadin are a bitch.
    Socklobster

Answer by Socklobster at 11:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2009