What to do with produce that froze in the car overnight? DD forgot to bring it in from the car.

My daughter went to her friends house last night and his mom cleaned out her fridge and gave a huge box of produce. There is 2 sacks of potatoes, a sack of garlic, a big bag of onions, pomagranites, mangos, corn on the cob, packages of fresh herbs, sqaush. It all is frozen and as it thaws it's not looking good. It makes me ill to think all this is having to go be wasted.
Would i be out of line to call a local farmer if they could use this box of produce for the animals? I live in a rural area with plaenty of farms that have horses, cows and pigs.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 4:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Food & Drink

• i think your idea is great. The mangoes might be ok as well as the corn on the cob and the potatoes. The rest might not do so well
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• You can use the herbs for sure , I'd scrap the rest , for sure call a farmer ! I'm sure they'd appreciate it !
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Animal feed sounds like the best way to go if it's not looking healthy at all. if some of it looks savaglable you might want to try soup or stew where the flavors will be masked a little.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• SOUP! Why didn't I think of that..Great idea.
    I'm thinking the onions will be good since I buy frozen chopped onions but I will see what can really be put into a soup and what can go to a farmer.
    Sheesh most parents want to chew their teens hide for being late or lazy..The normal things Yeah I want her to know that this is alot of food and expensive too! That this is a big deal because we are too broke for good produce. Hopefully she will see it through my eyes and not just roll hers. Maybe I will have her make the delivery to a farmer.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Any of the fruit just cut, peel and bag it(have the teen do the work) re-freeze it and use in smoothies or breads, muffins etc.
    bu08

Answer by bu08 at 7:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2008