How do I get my 2 y/o to stop biting?

My son who is almost 27months is always biting his cousin who lives with us, he also bites me, his brothers & sister but not as much as his cousin...I don't know what to do...I always tell him no, don't bite, take him away from who he bites, try time-out but he won't sit for even a sec...I'm not sure what to do, he is leaving huge marks all over him...

nymomof7

Asked by nymomof7 at 4:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bite him back. Sounds crazy and mean but don't bite hard. Just enough to shock him. Especially if he bites you. Guaranteed, he will NEVER bite again if you do that.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I agree!! Bite him back. My son was biting and I bit him back and he hasn't done it since
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• i agree too..lol my grandma put soap in my mouth..not a lot..didnt hurt me...but i never did it again
    SareeDer12

Answer by SareeDer12 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Well, my daughter is a biter and I've bitten her back numerous times....doesn't work! She still bites. She bites her sister all the time, but she does occasionally sink her teeth into me or DH. She thinks vinager is yummy and asks for more (YUCK!) and she thinks soap tastes just fine. She will sit in time-out, but that hasn't stopped the problem. I've had therapists say that when they get like that, they are sensory seeking and that biting is a way to fulfill whatever it is they are seeking. I don't have any answers for you, since I seem to be in the same boat as you are, but I would try the vinegar on a rag and just wipe it on his tongue, or try the soap. See if either one of those work. Someone also told me to try red pepper (haven't gone there yet).
    Anonymous

• Is he teething? Try giving him something else to bite. When you catch him biting, give him a special toy or maybe a blanket and let him know this is his biting toy and he can only bite *this toy*. I'd keep with the time outs and let everyone else know do something similiar.

Biting back is debating b/c it'll either work well, or it'll backfire and he will think if it's OK for you to bite, then it's ok for him to bite. That one is up to you.
    Anonymous

• I have to say bite him back.
    BlessedAngel

Answer by BlessedAngel at 6:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Stick with what you're doing and he will get the message. At 27 mos he is still a tad young to truly understand the full concept of time out but even just removing him from the situation and helping him sit some place to calm down can be very effective. Continue to tell him "no biting" "I'm putting you in time out because there's no biting" and repeat "no biting" at the end of time out then give him a kiss and move on. If possible, after the time out, stay with him while he goes back to play and perhaps keep him engaged in playing without his cousin for a few addtional minutes.

Please don't bite him back. It won't teach him the lesson that it's not ok to bite.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I tried everything with my daughter. Except biting back. One day a little girl bit the snot out of her. She's hasn't bitten since.
    mlinton87

Answer by mlinton87 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Good Lord, NO! Don't bite him back!!! That only teaches that biting is OK. Time out is better. Try a playpen like a Pack N Play for a time out with a toddler who won't sit still. That is what we are doing. I think mine is doing it for attention and taking that attention away immediately seems to be helping. We went from several bites a day to none in the past few days from being consistent with the time outs for biting or hitting.
    AngelWendyMama

Answer by AngelWendyMama at 3:02 AM on Jan. 1, 2009

• Part 2 - I read about 100 articles online about toddler biting and the common thread was DO NOT BITE OR HIT YOUR CHILD IN RETURN. Tell them, "NO" and "Be Nice" or "BE Gentle", but do not hurt them back. Some places it says to growl like a dog or bear, which did work for me once, but usually elicits laughter. It also helps to try to figure out the reason for the biting - control, exhaustion, temper, etc. If you know what it is.. and it's something like trying to be in control, give them other ways to have some - like letting them pick which outfit to wear between two choices, or which food to eat, etc.
    AngelWendyMama