My son is 19 months old we are working on potty training. Some days he is really good, some days not so much. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my son to let me know when he has to go? He is really good when we are away from home, but at home he seems to always go in his pull-up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

AMScott

Asked by AMScott at 4:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At that age, it's pretty much up to you to remind him, and take him on a regular basis if he has to go or not. I'm not sure he can tell you he has to go until he's a little bit older. My 28 month old son, who is completely poop trained now (yay!) just goes to the bathroom without telling us! He just goes in there, pulls his pants down, and takes a leak! It's really cute!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• He's still a little young... it will take time. Try real underwear. Yes, you're going to be cleaning up after him a lot, but pull ups are too much like a diaper to really help with potty training.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Use undies, not diapers.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• The pull ups that get cool when he wets himself work really well. The helped my neice and little cousin (who were hard trainers). He won't like the cool sensation against is little man part. It'll stop him in his tracks, and he'll ask to go.
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Yep. At that age it's up to you to take him when he needs to go. He probably won't be able to get there on his own, with no reminders from you, for another year or so.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think even tho he is young, the fact that he only goes in his pants when he is at home and comfy-tells me it is a lil bit of laziness on his part. When he's out, he's a big boy but at home mama will change me. The underwear is a great idea because he will feel icky when wet and if he is really ready it won't take long. Plus he can be proud of his new underwear-let hin helppick. reminding him is always good but watch him to see if it is really he forgets or he's wanting to sometimes still be the baby.good luck!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2008