Ever taken a 6-8 hour car ride with a 5 month old?

How did it go? What can I do to keep him entertained? He hates being in the carseat. He might fall asleep for a while but I know he won't stay asleep the whole time!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have....try sitting with him...it keeps them comforted
    SareeDer12

Answer by SareeDer12 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• We used to live in the Bay Area of California and we drove to San Diego, which is about 8 hours away. Our son was 4 months old at the time so we got a few dangly toys for him, kept a keen eye on the clock so we wouldn't wait until he was starving to feed him and it worked out. He slept, ate and watched the cars go by.
    k.alexander

Answer by k.alexander at 4:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• haha that's funny k.alexander. We're driving from san diego to the bay area!
    Anonymous

• Yep I have more then once Just take toys, maybe some music on an mp3 player you can share so the baby can listen, some toys and hope they nap alot.

Answer by gemgem at 5:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I always planned to leave right before a long nap time. Take any toys he likes, and maybe throw in a few new ones that he hasn't seen before. Like the other posters said, sitting by him and not letting him get too hungry are also good things to do. You will need to take some breaks and get him out of the carseat a few times too. You might want to take a big blanket to lay out wherever you stop so he will have a clean place to play. Definitely pack some gas drops, because too much carseat time and other traveling issues can cause some babies gas problems (one of my 16 month old twins has this problem even now on a 1 1/2 hour trip).
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• We drove to Maine earlier this month with our 6.5 month old. She slept the entire way there (9 hrs). We drove at night, fed her right before. She literally slept from our driveway to theirs. The way back was a little different (took 12 hrs). We drove during the day, so we stopped for her to eat/diaper change every three hrs. She still slept the whole time (between feedings). However, her sleep schedule was way off for abuot a week. She wouldn't sleep at night. Shes good now though.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Ive done multiple long ( 8+ hour) road trips with my now 10 month old. I did them all in the day time. I found the easiest on both of us if the baby has some toys to look at and play with. Target has some good ones that the baby can pull on and they will play music or jiggle. I also recommend giving the baby a big meal right before nap time and leaving soon after. The baby will sleep on a full tummy for a little bit longer than normal but not enough to disturb there sleep schedule. When I would stop for gas and food, I would change and feed the baby too. I tended to make my stops a little longer than I normally would so the baby would have some extra time out of the car seat. If the baby is teething like mine was a few of the trips I brought a cooler and kept some plastic ice packs in there for the baby to chew on and play with. I hope this helps. Have a safe and happy trip.
    kmstanfo

Answer by kmstanfo at 6:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• DRIVE AT NIGHT SO HE WILL SLEEP THE WHOLE TIME
    Anonymous

• When we went on a road trip (florida to west virginia) my daughter was 8 months old. We had my 8 year old niece with us, and she entertained my daughter the whole way! I don't know what we would have done without her.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• We've been taking 6-8 hour road trips since my baby was a few weeks old. He is now 9 months and we travel at least once a month sometimes more. We have this mirror in the back seat that plays music and lights up. It was on our gift registry at babiesrus. This will put my baby to sleep along with the bumpy car ride. When he was younger we had to pull over every 2 to 3 hours to feed him and change his diaper. When he was taking formula I actually fed him a few times while my hubby was driving. He eventually had to burp so thats when we would pull over. I dont reccommend this though. One of us usually rides in the back with the baby for long trips. Music helps the best along with a comfy car seat.
    niaandkliff

Answer by niaandkliff at 3:50 AM on Jan. 1, 2009