How much of YOUR PERSONAL taxes goes to welfare recipients?

Damn I see so much back and forth about welfare its enough to make me wanna slap both sides!

For all of you who argue that ppl on welfare waste your tax dollars...

I'd like to know exactly how much (either percentage or exact dollar amount) of YOUR money goes STRAIGHT to the welfare program in your area? How much are you spending a month/year to help needy families?

How did you calculate that amount? Any links to help others calculate how much they are spending to help fund the program?

If you have NO clue how much money you are actually loosing/lending to this program, and you haven't researched any info on it at all (as a tax payer) why do you continue to get upset with the recipients as a whole?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 5:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Damned if I know....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:22 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• 1 cent too many.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• Although I understand where you're coming from. It does not matter if it's 1 cent or a hundred dollars. People work hard for their money and they want to spend it how they want to spend it. Most people that work hard for their money want some accountability to how their money is spent that's all. Whether it's to help receipients, build a school, prison or bridge.
    MsRickie

Answer by MsRickie at 5:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• well, none of my personal income does... i get cash aid, medicaid, and food stamps... my husband who just started a really good tax paying job... we have no clue about how much of that really goes there... but i am very happy to say we should be off of the cash aid by the end of the year, and food stamps soon after the beginning of the year....
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 5:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• in the state of sc.. if youre on welfare you have to volunteer for the money they give you.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• I am 100% in favor of supporting those in true need, but I'm also sick and tired of seeing people manipulating the system, abusing the system, and not having a CHOICE who my hard earned money is supporting.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• i do know it is a federally funded program, so how ever much you pay in federal taxes goes and is divided up between welfare, the president's and the rest of the federal government's salaries, as well as wic, the federal prison system, and the rest of what ever the feds wish to spend your taxes on...
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 5:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

Well if you are REALLY married your aid would be cut immediately for a good paying job.. If he's the BD so you can collect your "BENEFITS" I guess it might take a few months for that to catch up with you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• No clue I only know that progressives feel my husband and I don't send in enough. We are in the top bracket and after Federal, State and all the rest it does work out to 35 percent. I have no problem paying in that amount just hate that people like us are being demonized as cold and evil when that simply isn't the case. The class warefare our current administration has started is pathetic and is destroying our country.

I have no issue with those who need welfare I do have issue with the way the system works. It penalizes those who do try to get off assistance and makes it hard for them to ever get back on their feet. We need to overhaul the welfare system so it is truly a hand up and not just another way to keep people dependent on the government. I grew up in real poverty and know hunger and how it feels to be poor. I do help those in need through charity which is more effective in helping people than the Gov is.
    healthykidsmom

Answer by healthykidsmom at 5:40 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• 7.5 cents of every dollar paid in taxes goes to Medicaid, food stamps, family support assistance (AFDC), supplemental security income (SSI), child nutrition programs, refundable portions of earned income tax credits (EITC and HITC) and child tax credit, welfare contingency fund, child care entitlement to States, temporary assistance to needy families, foster care and adoption assistance, State children's health insurance and veterans pensions.

http://polecolaw.newsvine.com/_news/2008/01/08/1212663-how-much-does-welfare-cost

That was as of 2008.

Answer by gemgem at 5:41 PM on Sep. 7, 2011