How old was your baby when you started them on baby food?

I am wondering whats the average age to start solids. I started giving my 3 month old baby food & my doc said to stick with just rice cereal or oatmeal until he's between 4-5 months. He was doing fine & really enjoyed them, showed no signs of allergies to any of it. She said to wait because the earlier you feed it to them they could develop more food allergies. Im29 and I know back inthe day my mom didnt consult with her Pediatrician about starting them, she said she tried them & I liked it so she continued. I was just wanting some feedback on it. Is my Doc strictly by the book or should I feed him if he likes it? I noticed his naps were much better when he was eating them too.

pamcakes908

Asked by pamcakes908 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• MY DD'S PED. TOLD ME AT 4 MONTHS TO FEED HER SOLIDS AND I DID. SHE DOESN'T SEEM TO HAVE ANY ALLERGIES YET, BUT I DO SO I DON'T FEED HER THE FOOD THAT I HAVE ALLERGIES TO.

NICOLE
    ncarver03

Answer by ncarver03 at 5:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I fed him at 4 months.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• 6 months
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• 6 months and I followed the book on feeding him solids based on what my ped. said. To me, it just wasn't worth the risk and he was being bf so he was getting all of the nutrients that he needed.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 5:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• 4 months
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 5:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• both girls 3.5 months cereal for 2 weeks then green, then the others, shes 6 months now and on stage 2 food, and my 3 year old was on table food by 7 months.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 5:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I started at 4 months even though they were formula fed and getting all the nutrients they needed. They were also taking 45-50oz per day, too.

I ran through the cereals first, then started the foods. No particular order, but made sure to do one new one at a time for a few days. I think with my middle boy I actually just did them in alphabetical order. LOL

Most pediatricians who follow the AAP guidelines will say to wait until at least 6 months.

We started introducing finger and table foods at 6 months. At 9 months they were on all table foods...receiving a balanced diet and all their nutrition from food.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think some doctors are more by the book. I started feeding my kids fruits and veggies at 3 months and they are all fine, you have to do what you feel is best for your child and if she is doing good thats all that matters.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think doctors go by the AAP guidelines so their backs are covered and they won't get sued if anything happens. Because if they suggested to start babies on other foods besides cereal earlier and the baby developed an allergy then I'm sure many people would try to press charges on the doctor. Most of what doctors do these days is to cover their own butts. Who can blame them though with all sorts of malpractice suits going around?

My opinion: mommy knows best. Take what others (including doctors) say as suggestions and then do what you feel is best after hearing those suggestions. No one knows your baby better than you do.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 6:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I want to wait until 6 mos but at my 4 mo appt my doctor said he could start because it will help with his reflux. I am still debating if i'm going to or not.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2008