How can I get my baby to take to a pacifier?

I know it's a silly question, but my little one doesn't really take to one unless she's hungry. I want her to take to it because she gets fussy really bad and anything to soothe her would be wonderful! So what can I do to get her to take to one other than when she wants to eat??

AnasMommy7

Asked by AnasMommy7 at 5:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't force it. My son never really took to his. He's now one year old and I hear horror stories about kids being weaned from them and moms telling me how lucky I am that he never got hooked. I would try other methods to soothe her. Is she getting fussy at specific times? How old is she? What have you tried? If you could let us know those answers, I bet a lot of moms on here could help you with other methods to soothe her and I think in the long run, you'll be grateful.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 5:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My son doesnt really like his, We give it to him to get him content and when hes content he spits it right out.
    BabyAsMom88

Answer by BabyAsMom88 at 5:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• She's almost 6 weeks and get fussy late at night, around 11-12 and later. She cries while eating and after she's done. I give her gas medicine...nothing works. But she's not like this during the day, it makes no sense...
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 5:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My other daughter never took to one, but she never really got fussy...
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 5:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I wouldn't force it just b/c when you do want to get ride of it, it'll be hard :) My dd didn't take to it right away, just keep offering. Try different ones. We used MAM since I got them as a shower gift and one form the hospital. She would only take the ones that worked anyway you put it in and couldn't stand those ones that go in one way. My friends daughter, however, loved the one way ones. If you put it in upside down, she would flip it with her tongue!

Also, if she's fussy at night, it might be colic. read up on that and see if it fits.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Mine didn't take his until 3 mos...I just kept trying different ones and kept giving it to him various times of the day. The more practice he had the better. Now he loves it and I do too!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My son never really took to it. If the baby is hungry, then you need to feed her, not give her a pacifier.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Hey! Saw your question and thought I would chip in my 2 cents...lol. I wouldn't force the pacifier on her to be honest. Joey LOVED his and had it until his 2nd birthday but Logan would never take one and I kept trying which only made him more upset. I finally gave up on trying to force it and found that he wanted this special blankie next to him which soothed him quite well. He is almost 2 and still carrying that darn thing around for comfort! lol. I would just try and find an alternative soother for her, not all babies find the pacifier soothing but will find something else soothing. Good luck sweetie!
    mcquistionmom2

Answer by mcquistionmom2 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Check for symptoms of GERD. My son had that and had to be put on a prescription for it.
    Anonymous

• I DO FEED MY CHILD WHEN SHE IS HUNGRY-comments like that are not nessesary, my daughter is well fed thank you. And this isn't my first child, I was just wondering because this one is different-fussier....
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 6:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2008