Why are college books so expensive????

For one class a textbook was $120-. Isn't that a bit ridiculous?

Tetona

Asked by Tetona at 5:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Money & Work

• You can also rent books, if that's an option. Chegg.com.

Part of the reason why they're so expensive is that they aren't cheap to make. There's a huge group of people involved on producing every edition. What gets me is why they need to change editions on a yearly basis. How much can some of these subjects possibly change that they need a yearly book.

By shopping half.com, alibris.com, and chegg.com - what would cost me nearly $600 new ($270 just for one class, ugh) is going to cost around $250.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Do they sell used books? When I was in school I always bought the used textbooks. Saved me a lot of money.

TessMomof7

Answer by TessMomof7 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I never have figured out the college textbook thing.

Husband and I always paid for the kids' books, but the kids always got the money when they sold them back to the bookstore.........go figure! :)
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 5:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• They do sell used books, but, this semester is different. The college changed all the textbooks from the previous term, so, no used books were available. I go to a private college and they are trying to make it were you can only purchases books from them. I feel that they get enough in tution and have sticker shock from the cost of the books.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 5:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Helpful hint......My daughter didn't buy the books until after attending class and finding out how much of the class content actually came from the book. Sometimes the books are used very little and she would "share" the cost with one or two other students. That way a $120 book only cost her $40. Then they would set up a schedule for who got the book on certain days.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 5:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• That is a good idea- book sharing.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 5:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• LOL I had some books that were upwards of $180. I heard they charge more because of all of the used books out there.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I got all my books on amazon used, even cheaper than the school bookstores used. Check them!
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• check amazon.com, they have textbooks cheap, or try the used section...BUT yeah they are too high 120.00 is better than 360.00 and that was for one book
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• go on half.com for your books
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2008