Cheap meals that last?

I was wondering if any1 knows of any cheap to make food that will lasts londer than a day or 2. We're living paycheck to paycheck and usually have $100 to $200 (if were lucky) a month for food for 3 people.

Please don't write anything feeling sorry, i believe that every1 is tested in life and good things come out of it if you get through it. Its happened several times to us in the past 2 months.

teenmommy31

Asked by teenmommy31 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Chili, soups, stews. Spaghetti. For the soups, stews and chili you can use a crock pot or slow cooker. All 3 will freeze well too. Maybe some casseroles too. You can make a whole chicken one night and the next use the leftovers for pot pies, chicken and dumplings, chicken salad or BBQ chicken sandwiches.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• Spaghetti. Soups & stews. Chili. Whole chickens are great...cut it up for sandwiches or make chicken salad. Or serve w/ veggies...I love buying a bag of potatoes b/c I can do so many things with them...hash, roasted , fries, etc.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 9:06 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• chicken and rice, spaghetti, egg dishes, tuna casserole
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 9:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• When we first got married we lived paycheck to three days before payday. Things that are inexpensive, make rib sticking meals and have good shelf life. Oatmeal(not the instant junk) it is very filling. We've made suppers out of it more than once in a tight spot. Dried beans pinto beans, navy beans I think some place call them little whites or little northerns...but a soup made with them with a pork bone...or a little bacon or salt pork is fantastic, cornmeal for making cornbread, corn pancakes or cornmeal mush, then fry it,. rice..make a pot and then season it with butter, sugar and cinnomon..my boys always loved that. ramen is a cheap option too. Ask the meat department at your supermarket if they have any bones for soup. At my market they are very, very cheap.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:12 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• Sheppards pie. Brown hambuger, drain. Mix with tomato soup and put in bottom of 13x9 casserole. Add can green beans. Then put scoops of mashed potatoes on top. bake 30-40 min. I feed 6 with 2 meals. I also make scrambled eggs for dinner. I cut up 3 baked potatoes and fry them. When almost done, I add eggs, and I buy a little package of cut of ham ( store in freezer). I use some of that as well, and scramble them all together. You won't have leftovers but it is an affordable meal. I also do grilled cheese and clam chowder. I have cheese and bread always, and a big can of chowder is under $2. My kids love this meal. We also do chili dogs. Can chili. I cut up onions, add shredded cheese. Hope this helps.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 9:14 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• Cheap roast in the slow cooker. You can have it warm than sandwiches the next day. Casseroles. Anything with potatoes because they are fairly inexpensive. Soups.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:16 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• a cheap meal that lasts for several days is spaghetti
    geatra

Answer by geatra at 9:17 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• Get on food stamps. I dont know a meal that can last 2 days. Who would want to eat the same foods everyday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• Going with the Shepard Pie idea, instead of using ground beef, try using chicken with a little taco seasoning and some corn. Also homemade soups are always good. You can make lots for very little and freeze the rest and have quick dinners over the winter months. I always end up making stuff I just throw together. My husband calls them smasharoles, I just layer things that sound good together. Baked spaghetti is pretty good.
    Mommysince02

Answer by Mommysince02 at 9:39 PM on Sep. 7, 2011

• Freeze your meals!
    emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 9:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2011