Opinion on IVs in labor?

I really don't want one. Can I ask specifically not to have one the whole time? I've read they only slow your contractions. Even if it is only to keep you hydrated. I don't want this. Am I alone?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Also I'd suggest that if you really don't want one, you need to check hospital policy. Most hospitals won't let you eat or drink during labor in case you need surgery (you could puke and die). You get the IV to keep you hydrated because you can't drink anything.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• i didn't have one with my second as long as nothing is wrong they can't force you to do anything
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 5:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It's also in case of an emergency and I've personally never heard of it slowing contractions. It's your choice but I did it and I would again
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Not needed routinely
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would do it to be on the safe side. I had it with both pregnancies. No big deal.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I had one during delivery. Make sure if you have an IV placed it is put in a comfortable location (not in your hands or wrist area). It is not necessary, but, recommended if you need emergency medication.

Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 5:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I always had one. My dd didnt get one though when she had my grandson then they ended up putting her on one too.

Answer by gemgem at 5:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• If you test positive for Strep-B - they will give you an IV with antibiotics in it. In all things - talk to your doctor. The normal IV I've never heard of it slowing labor. Are you talking about an epidural? They cannot make you take an epidural - that's one pain relief option.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 6:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I never had one. The only one that I think might be necessary, although I have been reading more and changing my opinion, is antibiotics for GBS.
    If you are hooked up to IV's then you can't move as freely, which can help in many different aspects of labor.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• if i were you i would get one just to be on the safe side, because if you were to need an emergency c-section that is where they put the medication to put you to sleep so that they can start the procedure. but even if you don't need an emergency c-sections most hospitals state that you have to have one for an epidural to be put in place.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 6:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2008