We just moved and now DS has his own room but.....

I'm not sure how to decorate it. I want to do an outdoor theme but I don't want to spend a ton of money because he will outgrow it or I might change my mind. He is only 6 months old and I want to do it myself, any suggestions?

k.alexander

Asked by k.alexander at 5:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Out doors theme? Easy and cheap coming up. I saw this awesome room in a magazine using items from around the house. The theme: out doors. This kid was into plants and being outside. So what the mom did was bring the outside inside. A few plants that help keep the room clean from dust (there are a few ivy's that do this), watering cans, plastic wheelbarrow to keep toys in, plastic gardening equipment (rakes, spade, ect...). They put Velcro on the walls and stuck gardening tools to the walls. Pictures of plants and gardening equipment cut from old calenders were hung.  Not fond of gardening for a boy?  Try same concept but with John Deere or with cars.  You can put velcro on match box cars and put them on the wall.  Be creative and think outside the box.  Why be like all the other bedrooms that are such a snooze.  Cheap is easy.  Picking a theme is a bit more difficult.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Keep the colors restful The last place you want bright reds and blues or sunny yellows is in a bedroom. Colors stimulate opr relax all of us. Some to a larger degree than others. When my son was an infant we painted his room a powder blue and used a sea sponge to paint white fluffy clouds. As he got older we added bvirds ans things. Around 8 he was obsessed white the stars. We bought glow in the dark paint and made stars on his ceiling. During the day you saw nothing. At night you saw all these glowing stars. Keep it simple and keep it relaxing.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• they did my nephews room in a "Where The Wild Things Are" theme. I think it's really awesome looking, and unique.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 5:41 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Sorry, I was trying to finish and check supper on the stove..I should have waited and proof read...lol
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• No need to apologized, I'm impressed you typed as much detail as you did with allof that going on!!! LOL
    k.alexander

Answer by k.alexander at 5:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I mean apologize
    k.alexander

Answer by k.alexander at 5:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• easiest cheapest way to do it would be find vinyl graphics to put up on the wall. they are easily removed if your child later decides he doesn't like the theme.
    Anonymous

• One think I have done with my girls is buy a picture book of what they love and then make copies and blow it up @ kinkos. Doesn't cost a lot and looks cool. My cricut is getting delivered this week and already planning on making things for the kids room. Also check out familyfun.com they have some neat ideas on room decorating
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 12:15 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• do jungle theme or noah's ark theme. you can buy some decorations at thr dollar tree, they also have posters of animals 2 for 1.00. with sayings on them
    newmom179

Answer by newmom179 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2009