Would you be mad?

I got my daughter a new bike for Christmas. I'm all excited to teach her how to ride it. Then, she called me the other day to tell me that, since she had a new bike here at my house, her dad took her training wheels off her bike there and has been trying to teach her to ride. Am I wrong for being as annoyed as I am? It just seems like he's always trying to get there FIRST.

BigMommaJesca

Asked by BigMommaJesca at 6:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You are in control of your thoughts, feelings, and actions. By allowing yourself to think these thoughts you are also giving him more power over you than what he is worth - obviously since now he is your ex and not currently with you. So do things that he cannot interupt. Do all girls night, candle light mother-daughter dinners, teach her how to dance for her first big slow dance in school when the time comes, educate her on menstration, puberty, boys....share the things with her that he cannot. Create experiences that will be unique to your relationship. Memmories and experiences he cannot "beat" you to the punch line.  Create the closeness and bond that has absolutely nothing to do with material gifts or cool vacations...it is about you and her.  That is all.  Sometimes just sharing a bowl of ice creme is the memory that stands out - not who took off the training wheels.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Mad... I wouldn't be. Annoyed... maybe.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Your a great mom lol. Me, I insisted that my daughters father (my exhusband) taught her to ride. \

Are you sure he is trying to "get there first" or are you extra sensitive about it?
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I don't think you're in the wrong, I think every parent wants to teach their children. I'm not sure how well you and the dad get along. Maybe you could talk and compromise you both being there when she learns.?
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 6:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I'm not sure about this one Jess. I'd probably be a bit annoyed, but there's a lot of learning involved in bike-riding; isn't there enough to go around there? Or perhaps this is "just one more example" of him trying to get there first; then I would be way more annoyed.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 6:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I'd be a little annoyed, but it usually takes more than one day to learn!! You'll have plenty of scrapes to kiss before she's a pro!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 7:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Annoyed at most. My ex husband & I do that type of thing to each other all the time.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 7:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I'd be annoyed. But remember you are her Mama and she is ALWAYS going to love you so very much. Try and think about it as you AND him are going to teach her how to ride her bike. It won't be just what you taught her or just what he taught her it's a little of both. I think he's quite immature if that's what he is doing. You are going to have so many more "firsts" with her than he is. Think First Dance, First Boyfriend, First Prom, etc... be annoyed yes...but don't let it get you down too much. He is her Daddy after all.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 10:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would not be annoyed at all. Your ex was was spending time with his daughter teaching her how to ride a bike so she can enjoy her new one that you got her.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 1:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• It's not important who get's there first but that she has two parents who love her who are trying to get there.... I would just think about how it affects her, not you, then rethink the whole thing. I mean so what the dad wanted to teach the little girl to ride, she may have started it, because of your gift, but regardless I would be careful how upset you let this get you.
    kris_orchid

Answer by kris_orchid at 2:10 AM on Dec. 31, 2008