I'm proud to be a teen mom. Im speaking my mind and screw teen mom haterz!!

A little info- I’m 19 and was a teen mom

Sooo… I had an issue with some1 earlier on here. She pretty much decided to bash me for being a teen mom. She said I’m just another teen mom with jobless skills and I’m not a part of society.

1st of all, jobless skills? You want to know the skills I have? I can type more than 50 wpm, I was going to take calculus in high school but the only reason I couldn't was because the highest math they offer to independent studies students is Algebra1. I can write a 2 page essay in less that 20 minutes (got an A). BTW, we had 2 weeks to do it. I've taken occupational programs and advanced computer classes, passed my high school exit exam with the top scores of my class. All this, in high school. And people ask why I’m a SAHM, because my daughter is only 2 and I’m the damn best mom and teacher she can have right now.

Want to know her skills too?? Before she turned 1 she knew all her basic colors, all her body parts (except her coochie, we said butt instead). While she was 1 she was fully potty trained, dress herself, could count to 4, and knew some letters. She turned 2 6 weeks ago and is talking in full sentences. So go ahead and try to tell me teen moms can’t be good moms.

Anyways, what right does she have to bash me just because of my age? The only BASIC difference between us as a mom is that I was a teen mom. Just because you get pregnant at 16 doesn't mean you’re going to love your child any different than if you’re 36. Yeah I’ll admit I wasn't in a relationship when I got pregnant. But guess what? I was a teenager. Teenagers have sex in case any1 hasn't noticed. So what happened to me? I wasn't selfish and decided to keep my baby instead of my teenage life. Abortion isn't for me.

I don’t ever think of my daughter as a mistake. In my opinion things happen for a reason, and God gave me my daughter as a gift. Because of my daughter I am very successful. I moved out when I was 18. I live in a 4 bedroom house, built in pool, and 3 car garage. It’s just me, my daughter, and my boyfriend of 3 years. And yes he is her father. We pay our own bills. We have 2 cars, I paid for 1 in cash, I don’t like credit card. And for you moms who think SAHM are lazy, as soon as my car gets fixed I’m going to school to be either a diagnostic medical sonographer or a radiation therapist. =)

If you truly agree with this woman then you can kiss my skinny, white ass for all I care. I’m not going to let people bring me down or make me feel bad for any decisions I make. GO TEEN MOMS!! (I’m not supporting intentional teen pregnancy)

I'm just trying to let people know that being a teen mom is no different.

BUMP IF YOU AGREE WITH ME

I read an apology on here. I just want to say that getting this off my chest made me feel good. But reading the apology makes me feel even better. Thank you. I didn't write this searching for an apology. It was to speak my mind and share my opinion. Again, Thank you.

Like i said **I support teen moms** not teen pregnancy.

teenmommy31

Asked by teenmommy31 at 3:27 AM on Sep. 8, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Print this out, save it and re-read it when your daughter is 16. You will be surprised at your own reaction.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:54 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• I wouldn't be proud of procrastinating on a paper you had 2 weeks to write. Sure you wrote in 20 minutes and got an A, but was that your best effort? I'm not proud of my grades (although I graduated from college with a 4.0), I'm proud when I've done the best job I know I could do.
    I don't think teen moms are bad, but surely you don't think that getting pregnant at 16 was a good decision?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• I applaud you for all your accomplishments, you should be very proud of yourself. Please be very careful...your youth and immaturity still comes screaming through. ( Example typing 50 wpm... try 150+ wpm that is executive level.)

You have done a wonderful job of making lemons into lemonade. Fact is most teen pregnancies don't turn out like yours.

Another sad fact. Women grow up and forget that they once were young and that they once had to make these choices. They refuse to have open and honest conversations with their kids about sex and assume that their daughters wont be the ones to get pregnant or that their sons would never be the ones to get someone elses daughter pregnant.

Being proud of yourself is not being proud of the act. I am like you... all things happen for a reason. This must be your direction, but learn from it...would you really want your daughter pregnant and not finishing high school?

sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 9:45 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• Nice post, coming from a former teen mom also.

But you don't need to prove or explain yourself to anyone, least of all haters like that woman. Don't let people like that get to you, CM is full of ignorant cookie cutter types that spew bullshit all the time.

GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 3:34 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• I don't bash teen moms, but I do have to say, I think that being a teen is hard enough. Being a parent is hard enough. Trying to do both at the same time is a burden that I understand some people have taken on and done a good job with, but it isn't one that I think people should intentionally try to do (the girls who try to get pg, for example). And I do think that it can have negative affects on your life (NOT saying that any baby is a mistake, btw) - for example, as you said, you are smart enough to take calculus, but because you were taking independent studies (I assume because you were pg), you weren't able to.

I know many people who have been very successful teen moms, and I've known some crappy moms who had their kids later. But, the teen moms that I know that were the most successful were also usually the first to say that this isn't the easiest road to take...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:46 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• When I was your age, I lied about my age all the time...people thought I was 27 when I was 17 and would hang on my every word as they listened to my advice about their sad little lives, and then they would say, "wow, you are so wise...how old are you?" and you could see their eyes change when they found out how young I was...you could see the thought process..."hey, I'm way older than she is...I must know more!" and suddenly THEY would try to give me advice LOL

I am not an ageist. I know many adolesent 40 year olds, and plenty of grown-up 17 year olds. By judging a package by the paper that wraps it, you will always miss out.

Feel free to invite me as a friend. Even though I'm twice your age, I bet we'd have a lot in common.

Laila Moysey
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms
    Moms Helping Moms Work From Home since 1999

livewell

Answer by livewell at 7:24 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• I think you are the exception. GREAT JOB though!!! Some women aren't even that mature when they're 25!!! :)
    augsmom

Answer by augsmom at 8:42 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• What is with the votedown troll?
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:33 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• @teenmommy31, I got pregnant and had my daughter at 20, not technically a teen. I was going to college full-time and working at a Government job. All I heard were naysayers. I stayed in school for another year after my daughter was born, but then the funding for my government position was cut and it was a choice between feeding my brain or feeding my child. My focus had to be on getting a full-time job. I chose to take a break from school and raise my daughter. At 25 my son was born. Today I am 37 year old single mom with two kids. I work full-time and I am finishing my degree. I have always hear people insert their opinions about my life. But my motto is opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and sometimes people are ones. Don't ever let anyone steal your joy. You do what you have to for your baby regardless to what anyone has to say. Remember that sometimes people are judging you because of their own mess it's not u.
    MsRickie

Answer by MsRickie at 10:45 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• well then maybe she is just jealous that you can do things she cant do at her age. Good luck, hope you feel better having gottenthis off your chest, it helps me to vent at times.
    cbratz

Answer by cbratz at 1:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2011