Anyone use those kid phones (like Firefly)?

We are considering getting our oldest (9 this month) a kid cell phone.. The kind where you can program the times of day that it can be used (so she can't pull it out at school to use it, or at bedtime), who can call or be called (so random people can't call), with GPS, etc... I'm curious about parent's opinions?

laird6372

Asked by laird6372 at 5:12 AM on Sep. 8, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• When my daughter asked for a cell phone at 9, I got her an AT&T GoPhone. I programmed phone numbers in that she needed, me, dad, brother, grandma, grandpa, and her friends. She is not to answer the phone if a number rather than a name shows up because that means it is not someone she knows. She is responsible enough not to use it at school except in case of emergency. The plans are cheap enough, $20 covers unlimited texting, $60 covers unlimited minutes and texting. But, we have never used a "kids' phone".
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 5:53 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• No we dont use those kinds. My kids all got prepaid cell phones when they first started off. I just got my 11 yr old on the walmart prepaid phone through walmart. His sister already had a plan so it only costs us around $30 a month. I had gone with Virgin Mobile at first but coverage here was not that great.

Answer by gemgem at 6:59 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• You dont need one of those phones.... most of the carriers have plans that you can modify times, phone numbers, things like that from the internet.... you can use regular phones for that. it's parental control, each company calls it something cute but if you ask for that they'll understand. This is att website with info on it.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/services/serviceDetails.jsp?LOSGId=&skuId=sku1010174&catId=cat320008

Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:42 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• No, when my kids get to the point that they are going places without me (at 10 and 11, they're either with me or another responsible adult - no need for a cell phone!), they will be getting a regular prepaid phone.

Answer by missanc at 9:32 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• my son is 9 and we won't be getting him any type of phone till he can pay for it himself
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:58 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• Well, we want one for a few reasons. 1) She ends up home alone a few times a week (her mom says it only happened once, but SD told the counselor it was a few times a week), and doesn't have a house phone, so no way to call 911 if needed. 2) She lives with her mom and our calls usually get ignored on her mom's phone and she's only been allowed to call less than 10 times in 6 years (but the Court Order says he can provide a cell phone to contact her, so she can't prevent that), and 3)We want one we can control the numbers able to call or be called so that the phone is only used by SD.

Also, we are in Japan, so we can't just add her to our lines or go to the store to buy a prepaid. We can order the child cells over the phone or online, though.
    laird6372

Comment by laird6372 (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• My ds has had a phone (pre-paid phone) since 3rd grade and for numerous reasons. I am so for it. Personally, I have not have had any troubles with him having a phone (knock on wood). I have strict limitations on phone and I follow through with my checking up on him and it's random. He has proven to me he can be responsible and it makes me feel at peace knowing I can get a hold of him when needed or visa versa.

Go with what your heart tells you.
    JustB290

Answer by JustB290 at 7:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• I wouldnt get my child a cell at any age, anyway. I am curious as to why if you feel the need for your child to have one why block it while they are at school? What if they needed to reach you? Isnt that the purpose of the cell in the first place? And if you have to block it then you must not trust the child to be responsible with the phone.....I just dont get it?

tericared

Answer by tericared at 8:51 AM on Sep. 14, 2011

• "Well, we want one for a few reasons. 1) She ends up home alone a few times a week (her mom says it only happened once, but SD told the counselor it was a few times a week), and doesn't have a house phone, so no way to call 911 if needed. 2) She lives with her mom and our calls usually get ignored on her mom's phone and she's only been allowed to call less than 10 times in 6 years (but the Court Order says he can provide a cell phone to contact her, so she can't prevent that), and 3)We want one we can control the numbers able to call or be called so that the phone is only used by SD."

^^^^^^^^^^ This is why
    laird6372

Comment by laird6372 (original poster) at 8:55 AM on Sep. 14, 2011