How do u deal with a girl messing with her private part??

How do you deal with your daughter messing with her private part???

leandra20

Asked by leandra20 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is she? The last check up I took my daughter to, I received a form which listed what I should expect from a baby her age...she was 19 months...and masturbation was on the list. I know, weird. Anyway, I think it means touching herself but she only does it when her diaper is off and it hardly ever is off. If your daughter is this same age I would just make sure she wears clothes.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Could be too that she just itches. Mine would do it from time to time. I took her to the Dr cause she was doing it alot & come to find out she was starting a rash that I couldn't see. Just keep your eye on it & it could be nothing, but they do do it.
    HelenStoner

Answer by HelenStoner at 12:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Certain ages have certain areas of their body they explore, it is natural, this their way of finding out about themselves, my kids did the same, dr said ignore and don't make them subconcious about it. So I didn't they grew up fine. Sometime them will use and most often a motion divice such as a shower that hangs down, my 4 year old granddaghter does, also the hose out side when she is in her little pool. Over look it they are just growing, part of nature, don't make a fuss, so they are weary when they get older, I hope this helps, old nurse.
    amothertoall

Answer by amothertoall at 12:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Make certain she doesn't have a yeast infection and is just itchy. Many scented bath products - like bubble bath - can cause yeast infections in girls.

If it's not that, try not to make a fuss about it. Encourage her to wash her hands when she's done just like she does after using the potty. As she gets older, encourage her to do her exploring in private.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My daughter does this too.
    She's almost 14 months.
    It happens mostly when I change her diaper.

I think she's just curious. It's natural.
    cleverusername

Answer by cleverusername at 10:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2008