Starting baby early

My son is just past 2 months old. We started mixing the baby cereal and formula/breastmilk tonight. He seemed to take it really well, (we started with a very small amount). His stomach seemed to digest well, no throw up, and he wasn't fussy like it hurt his stomach. Has anyone else started their baby on cereal this soon? Anything else that you started your child on early? How did that go?

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 6:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would be very careful...it could caus ealot of stomach issues u will not notice right away.2 months is really young to switch to solids, just be careful. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• no it can give them problems in the long run. theres a reason theres an age to start feedin cereal etc
    Anonymous

• nope.. our pediatrician told us to only give our daughter formula/breastmilk until she is at least 4 months old. then we started with mashed carrots ect. ped also told us to not mix cereals in the bottle with the other stuff.. some mothers do, some dont. i personally dont see a need for it. if my daughter didnt get stuffed from the bottle i just made the formula a little thicker ;)

cereal ect. is supposed to be fed with the spoon anyway.

but our daughter never had problems with the change to solids/cereals.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:58 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I do know one person who had cereal started that early. He got a colostomy bag before he turned 40.

What you do NOW lays the groundwork for the rest of his life. There's really no reason to start cereal this early, and many many reasons NOT to do so.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I had to give my son cereal at 3 weeks due to acid reflux and he is a healthly 6 month old. I don't really see a problem in it. I would just do small amounts at first. No one knows your baby like you and if you think that they are ready then go for it. I would still just talk to the doctor first
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 7:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• wow ok no first off there is probly other reasons that man has a colostomy bag im sure the fact that his mother fed him cearel isnt it but besides that.

You shouldnt be mixing his cearel in with his bottle. they say not to do that at all but as for wanting to give him cearel he might be a little young but you know your child best not us so if you think its not hurting him hes probably fine i wouldnt do it all the time and i would watch him but realy you shoudl wait till atleast 4months of age. he needs to be able to sit up with some assistince.
    Anonymous

• i have worked at many daycares and hearing many different things that are strange to me. and the earlyest that i have ever heard of is 6 months old. now if your so is eating 4 to 5 oz every 3 hours like my 2 month old baby it is way to early for cereal. but if you son is eating 8 to 10 oz i would talk to you doctor that is not normal. a sight that you can tell that your son is ready for cereal is that if you put a lil formula or breastmilk on his toungh and he brings it in not pushing it out then he is ready. i hope that this helps let me know how things go.
    Kyle_wify

Answer by Kyle_wify at 7:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Why do you feel the need to start your baby on cereal? I'm assuming you put it in a bottle which is a no no
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• The sooner you start solids the more likely your baby will develope food allergies. If you give it to them in a bottle they can asperate it and get it in thier lungs and die.
    BabyDio

Answer by BabyDio at 7:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Out of curiosity, why did you decide to start so early? I know I started my oldest son with 2T of cereal mixed with formula (given with a spoon) when he was 2 months old...he was taking almost 40oz of formula per day.

What I have discovered since then....starting food before 4 months or after 6 months "seems" to increase the production of a hormone which "could" lead to the development of diabetes.

My son doesn't have any food problems right now. He's shown no sensitivities to anything at all. He does have some challenges, but those have nothing to do with his diet then or now....

Unless done under the guidance of a doctor, it's not usually recommended to put cereal in a bottle. It should be given with a spoon.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2008