Do you think children's beauty pageants are harmful or harmless?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 9:31 AM on Sep. 8, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• The way they are today, they are harmful.. I'm in my late 40's. Most girls didn't enter pagents until they were well in their teens in my day.. The few child beauty pagents that they had were much different in the early 1970's. They didn't wear all the makeup and they didn't look like miniature adults. They didn't spend $2,000 on a gown or $15,000.00 on a personal trainer. Parents as generally didn't get bent out of shape if they didn't win a pagent.

The few clips that I saw of the child beauty pagents were very disturbing to me. What it is is that these moms are living through their daughters. Their dreams or aspirations are all focused on how well their daughters does. Some of them can be quite mean to their child if they lose a pagents. Someone told me about a parent that slapped their daughter across the face because they didn't win. This really helps those with self-esteem problems or issues.
    baronesslucy

Answer by baronesslucy at 9:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2011

• harmful, silly and a waste of time.
    HappyHmsklNapps

Answer by HappyHmsklNapps at 5:41 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• I think the ones for boys are fine, but the ones for girls are icky. What? They don't have them for boys? Hmmm... I guess they will all need to grow up to be bankers and lawyers doctors and stuff then. So glad girls have the opportunity to learn what is really important (looking pretty) at such a young age.
    Dharrahy

Answer by Dharrahy at 2:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2011

• Yuck, gak, and gross. I don't know if they are harmful but they are ridiculous.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 12:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2011

• Neither. I do think that they give children a wrong message. It may bring some issues later on when they've grown up focusing on their looks and being sexualized from a small age.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• Wow. Nimue930, I never thought of it like that. My 11 year old participated in Pre-teen America. It was good for her. She had some inner confidence problems due to an illness. This pagent, was on speech, talent, and a dress. The expense was in collecting required sponserships fees (not much). These girls were all shapes and sizes. The competition was on beauty as a person. It was a great experience. My daughter age 17 also competed in the local pagent this year. After surgeries, she finally felt she looked normal. What this pageant did for her, was to make her feel truly beautiful for the first time as a young adult. her talent was art, and several people commented on it the next day. She was so proud and happy for these comments. I think it was a great experience.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 2:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• This is a dangerous question for me to answer and Im sure some moms will disagree. As a child counselor, I find these pageants very harmful. Its not just the overall sexuality of the girls at too young an age, although that is terribly disturbing. I strongly feel these little girls are getting robbed of lifes milestones they need for development. This is overgeneralized, but little girls look forward to their first heels, make up, fancy dress, exotic hairdo, etc for a reason. They play dress up and fantasize about going to prom, or their wedding. As they reach those milestones, their psyche knows a certain level of maturity has been obtained. They are one step closer to womanhood. they are proud of themselves. they discover their femininity. These milestones are anticpated and reached with pride and accomplishment. These little girls have been denied that.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• harmful more than harmless.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• I think they can be quite harmful especially when a zealous parent gets involved and overruns what could be just a fun little event.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• Mostly harmless.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 11:18 AM on Sep. 8, 2011