Do you think children's beauty pageants are harmful or harmless?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 9:31 AM on Sep. 8, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• i think the pageants themselves are harmless..its the parents who are harmful.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:47 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• The pageants are not the issue the parents who live through their children are. They do this with sports, academics, music and many other things. The worst are the sports parents my son was in pop warner football last year and there were three fights between parents. Very disgusting that stuff is harmful to the kids. My son told me he didn't want to do it this year because it was too stressful dealing with the crazy parents. So sad so many make their child's activities about them.

healthykidsmom

Answer by healthykidsmom at 11:04 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• IMO, it can be both. If the child WANTS to be in the pageant, they have fun doing it & aren't being pushed..then they can be harmless. If the parents, like most on these children's beauty pageant shows, are pushing the child for their own selfish goals--then it can be harmful.

SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:33 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• I think it absurd to think a 2 year old WANTS to be a beauty queen, but I think if a child is older and Wants to do it, they are okay.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:48 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• I think they have the ability to be either. I don't see them as any different than toddler dance, baton, or sports... There are really great lessons which can be learned from pageants. At the same time there are really horrid lessons that can be learned too. It's all about how the parents treat it.

When I was growing up one of our sitters competed for Miss America. She was beautiful, kind, gracious and outgoing. I wanted to be her so much! Now she's got children of her own and her sister has to daughters. And she has sponsored all of them in pageants, and modeling. But she does not allow them to do the heavy makeup and the wigs. And regardless of where they place in competition she always treats them like a winner... They have all learned public speaking, posture & poise and have beautiful manners.

cont.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:56 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• My daughter has done several papers on this subject. It is very interesting. (She is 17 and a senior in HS & want to go into Psychology) I have to tell you, and I base my comments on reading her work and helping her with her research. I do not find any use for child pageants. There are mothers that have their children's teeth pulled so that they have perfect teeth (they get them false teeth).... Dying the hair... Spending thousands of dollars on dresses.... Colored contacts.... This is not teaching a child about accepting yourself as you are, as you were born. This is telling them you are not acceptable let me "fix" you.

This is not about beauty it is type casting of someone vision of beauty. Take all the make-up off. Let them come in only cloths they can buy in the mall and then we can talk about it, but pageant they way they are today...absoulty against them.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 9:57 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• The issue comes in when the parents are to preoccupied with winning or have taught the child it's all about winning! BUT, those types of parents are in EVERYTHING! Gymnastics, dance, football, tennis... You'll always have those parents who feel it's all about the win and ruin the experience as well as any positive lesson their children could gain.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:57 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• it depends. I think the local mall ones all in fun are precious. the fake gross tv ones are creepy and awful
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:32 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• I think they can be quite harmful especially when a zealous parent gets involved and overruns what could be just a fun little event.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 8, 2011

• This is a dangerous question for me to answer and Im sure some moms will disagree. As a child counselor, I find these pageants very harmful. Its not just the overall sexuality of the girls at too young an age, although that is terribly disturbing. I strongly feel these little girls are getting robbed of lifes milestones they need for development. This is overgeneralized, but little girls look forward to their first heels, make up, fancy dress, exotic hairdo, etc for a reason. They play dress up and fantasize about going to prom, or their wedding. As they reach those milestones, their psyche knows a certain level of maturity has been obtained. They are one step closer to womanhood. they are proud of themselves. they discover their femininity. These milestones are anticpated and reached with pride and accomplishment. These little girls have been denied that.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2011