How do I get my 18 month old son to walk with me so I don't have to carry him?

I have an 18 month old son named Dylan and he has been walking since he turned one. I would like some suggestions on how to get my toddler to walk with me? Now when I ask this, I don't mean to walk WITH ME as in stay next to me because I know that is not going to happen for a while, I mean to walk period when we are out and about. He always wants me to carry him. It is to the point when I ask him "will you please walk with Mommy? he just says no. If I try and put him down to make him walk he throws a fit and screams and throws himself on the ground. We have had stand offs that have lasted almost 30 minutes and he has figured out that if he takes off his shoes I will go and put his shoes back on. It is getting rediculous. What do I do?

Shannon0622

Asked by Shannon0622 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• thats really tough. our daughter is the total opposite. she always wants to walk and throws a fit when we try to carry her. ;)

But i would say, tell Dylan, that if he wont walk, then you wont go anywhere at all. Then he has to stay at home (not alone of course lol). But dont carry him when he throws a fit, that will probably make it worse. then he will keep doing it. If you dont have anything really important to do, then just tell him: "ok honey, you are a big boy and if you wont walk, then we will go back home" ... then, just walk back inside.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I've done walking with my two year old twins very gradually. Start just by having him walk with you from the car to the store and then get a cart or walking from the car into someones home.
    If you're out and about for a good chunk of time he's not going to be able to walk much anyway because he's going to get tired so save yourself the headache and use his stroller or get a cart. The older he gets the more walking he'll do.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• pick up his shoes and dont put them back on, grab his wrist (dont hurt him cause its easy to do that without realizing it)make hi stand up and walk
    dont carry him, it will be a fight, and people will look at you like your are the most evil perosn in the world, but he will learn that you give in to him if he throws a fit long enough
    i sometimes had to start walking away while my kids were throwing their fits, as soon as mommy was out of sight, they would get up and come find me (i could always see them, they just couldn't see me)
    Anonymous

• anon 8:14 and twinclub both have great suggestions. With the anon I'd repeat DO NOT PULL, actually now a days I hold their hand but if I'm going to have to use any force I hold under the armpit. (their elbows and wrist dislocate very easy and its called nursemaids elbow -- guess how I found that out, when he didn't want to walk and I was holding above his wrist when he threw himself on the ground).
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• i would try to set him down and try having him hold your hand. my son doing the same thing now so i know what your going through.
    xnikole22x

Answer by xnikole22x at 11:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• a harness! my son has been walking since he was 9months. and when in public he wants to walk. when at home he needs to be carried. and i recomment a harness, your child cannot get away from you, they are cheap and cute! :)
    revigue

Answer by revigue at 1:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I have same plm as you, im get him out bed than put him on floor, he start cry over me but im not lisren to him untill he learn to follow me out bedroom to livingroom. if he beg pick up. im still wont carry him. i just sit down on floor to give him hugs. let him know is ok and dont cry. im pick him up for get ready for meal to eat or go out. no more carry. he need understand that mame is tired of carry. he finally understand by 13 month old. im learn lessn for not carry my son too much. im hope u can try same thing i do, if she cry but u have learn to be touch mom.you are boss!
    whoishotmama

Answer by whoishotmama at 2:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2008