• In the Spotlight:

How much tv?

My 3 year old likes her t.v . she does not watch anything bad. She watches dora the explorer, ozwald, wonder pets. The shows have taught her many things but when is a t.v. too much?

lakotajean

Asked by lakotajean at 7:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When it replaces your role as a parent or babysitter .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 7:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• for my 3 year old I try to limit it to 1 1/2 - 2 hours per day. I don't know if that is much. But he watches good shows. The rest of his time to make him do puzzles, color, play and read. I also play games with him.
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 7:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• If all she does is sit and stare at the TV, it's probably too much.

If you turn it off and she goes into withdrawal, it's probably too much.

I have to be honest, ours is on all day long...mostly just for background noise. They stop and watch some shows, but they still go play games, play with their toys, go to their rooms to play, etc.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• If you go outside to play and she asks if it's time to go in and watch tv....2 minutes later (been there, we immediately chopped tv time) 1-2 hours max
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 8:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• We have never allowed our daughter to watch any tv. She's almost 19 months and couldn't care less about tv. We read to her, play, color, sing, dance, etc. She's the healthiest, happiest child our pediatrician has ever seen! I say...NO tv is a good amount! :) She has an amazing imagination, too.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would not allow a 3 yr old to watch more than 1 hr of TV a day. Even if it is the "good" shows she is missing out on other things. So many studies have shown that the more hours of TV watched the lower kid's reading scores, more overweight etc. TV watching in toddlers and preschoolers has been linked to higher rates of ADHD. Every minute she is watching TV she is NOT exploring, discovering, problem solving, interacting with people, using her imagination, being read to, running climbing, jumping, drawing, digging in the dirt, watching ants crawl across the driveway, the list goes on and on.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2008