How can a mother just stand there?

Just need to have a bit of a rant. I work as a cashier at a grocery store, the other night a lady at the register didn't have enough to pay for everything and needed to put back some waffles (happens all the time). The lady told her son (kids was around 7/8 but the size of an 11/12 BIG kid) he refused and started screaming "no no no I don't have to listen to you" and running around the registers.   This lady just stood there looking at myself and another cashier say "he never listens" and looking to us to take them from him.  A manager was brought into the situation, same problem, the manager told the boy and his mother that security would be called, more to scare the kid than anything.  The mother smiled the boy screaming "I don't care". I was finally able to get the bag away from the boy ( a hard task to do when dealing with a strangers kid, your at work, and don't want to over step).  That little F***er punched me in the chest (didn't hurt) and then KICKED me in the knee hard... I have a bruise.  Any way my rant is more to ask how can any mother stand around watching her child act like that (in public no less), stand by as he assaults not only an adult but a female, disrespects her and wounder why he doesn't listen.  That lady is going to be in BIG trouble when that boy gets a bit older, he was already up to her shoulder at 7/8 and a big boy to boot.  If she comes in and it happens again would it be wrong for me to tell this lady "No sh*t he doesn't listen take control of your kid and teach him some discipline"?  I hate women like this!!

kadensmom04

Asked by kadensmom04 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 8, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Sounds like the boy runs the show at their house. If he hits you, a stranger,  hard enough to leave a bruise, imagine what he may do to her.

SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• I would NOT have taken the product from him, I would have let security do it or had a police officer come in and scare that little brat and his mom. Also, once he punched and kicked me I would no longer hold my tongue and I would tell the mother why her darling child is the brat he is.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• Yes it would be wrong for you to say that, only because you could get in trouble. I don't understand how someone can do that either. I would be yanking my child out of there so fast! You are right this kid is going to be in soo much trouble as he gets older.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• WOW... This is where a good swift in the pants needs to come in ... Sorry, but the truth. There is NO way in Hades that my 3 kids would act that way.
    MzGeorgiaPeach

Answer by MzGeorgiaPeach at 1:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• I swear this generation of parents are a disgrace. When I was little I was taught to respect adults and to never act up in public places as well as home. Manners were expected and waffles or any other treat from the store was not a right. Some people have no back bone with their kids or they don't want to be the bad guy. As a single mother to a son I have instilled all of the wisdom and care I can at an early age. When I see spoiled rotten kids at the store or restaurant I totally blame the parents. I'm not saying spank your kids or be cruel but you have to teach your kids respect. I weep for the future.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 2:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• Because some people do not believe in EVER spanking a child or they believe that talking to the kid, reasoning with them or timeouts will work. I have two kids and I have never had to deal with a temper tantrum and I'll be damned if I am ever going to be stuck with a kid I can't take out in public. I can count the times I've ever had to slap their hands or legs (2 kids in 16 years), but if you act up in public, you get handled in public! Now this will turn into a debate about physical discipline.

I feel bad that the kid was abusive to you, I may have been tempted to tag his little ass right back.
    MsRickie

Answer by MsRickie at 2:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• I t wouldnt have been wrong for you to say, "Your child just hit me. You step in and control him or I am calling the police." I have a feeling her wake up call will be her kid smacking her in the face and her teeth hitting the pavement. Sadly, that will be too late...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• next time they come in, alert the management immediately, and have them stand by..let the management handle it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• Wow. I don't even know what to say. That's appalling! That child is going to be a nightmare as an adult if something doesn't change quickly.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• I would be utterly humiliated if this was my child. I would apologize to you when he first started this behavior and we have left the store immediately and I would have torn his butt up.

carsonoliviamom

Answer by carsonoliviamom at 2:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2011