At what age did you start giving your kids showers instead of baths?

My SIL gives her 5 year old daughter showers instead of baths. I had never thought about doing this with my 4.5 year old. I was wondering if that is a typical age to start giving children baths.

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 7:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in General Parenting

• I don't know if thereis a "typical" age but we started w/ds when he was about 3 or 4, he had fun doing something different besides a "scrubby" lol. Just make sure to put a towel down, no slipping at all that way . it is kinda a pain to wring it out everytime, but it's just something different and quicker. Oh we also were with him, he started showering w/one of us outside holding onto him at around 5.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:41 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Oh geez...our kids have been taking showers since they could stand.

The apartment we were in had a free standing shower downstairs and a VERY COLD claw foot tub in a nasty bathroom upstairs (not from my lack of cleaning...from lack of proper repair on the landlord's part..we don't live there any longer)

Now, they go up and are showered first (lather up and hose them down) then my husband fills the tub a bit so they can play in the tub a bit (they LOVE tub crayons)

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I have twin 3 year olds and I give them showers. They love it!
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 8:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My kids only take showers now. They are 8, 7, 6 and 2 1/2. That's because our tub is cracked and leaks (or it did, my dad has sort of fixed it). The 2yo will do either but the older kids take showers and have for about a year now.
    They've been taking showers off and on for almost 2 years now...so since they were about 6, 5 and 4. They would prefer to take baths but they make less mess in the shower.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My oldest is almost three and the youngest is a year and a half and they both would rather take showers then baths.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 9:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Yeh, my kids were around 3 or 4 years old. Never had a problem. My daughter used to pretend she was in the rain and loved it.
    Mrs_Bonsta

Answer by Mrs_Bonsta at 11:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• mine just did it on there own.....10 and five....started showers at 5 each....big brither cause he spent way to much time in the tub (only one bathroom)and the baby cause big brother was doing it.
    drivnkids

Answer by drivnkids at 10:12 AM on Jan. 2, 2010