At what age did you start your kids in sports? At our local Y kids can begin to play on teams at the age of 4. I was wondering if that was a bit too early.

momof2boys423

Asked by momof2boys423 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 4 year old did baseball this past summer, and just finished up a soccer clinic. They were considered to be "team sports" but there was no real competition...no scores were kept, everyone had an equal chance to play, etc.

Our YMCA here has a program we want to try for our oldest to (for ages 3-5) where they get to try a variety of team sports. We hope to be able to sign them up in a couple of months.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My children played sports with the Y and similiar organizations at 4 and older and it was a good experience. If you think they are ready and it's something they want to do then it's usualy alot of fun for them. It's great because the other kids on the team are the same age and it's a good way for them to learn about the sport and see if it's something they like and want to continue. My daughter is thrilled with the trophies (lol). The only problem we had was when my daughter was playing t-ball she was the only girl on the team and most of the boys were really rough, but she had a great time with other sports and classes.
    summerleigh

Answer by summerleigh at 7:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think if your child likes it it is a good thing. teaches alot of stuff about commitment and teamwork and sharing and having fun. Make sure the coaches are not the super competitive type and enjy. some of my best pics of ds is him trying to figure out where to run in pee-wee baseball lol-what a hoot!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My son started in an indoor soccer league at age 6, almost 7 - first grade. Honestly, you could tell most kids had a lot more experience than him and I wish I had put him in some sort of organized sports earlier. As long as the emphasis is on teamwork, learning and fun *which through a Y I would assume it is* vs overly competitive, I say if he's interested, go for it. Otherwise, he might feel behind the curve at a later date.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 8:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• We just finished an indoor soccer league for my son who is 3 he will be 4 in April. He liked going to practice and games but had a hard time focusing on playing the game.
    He wanted to play basketball but we decided to wait till this spring and give him some time to realize what he needs to do. He liked to pick fights and lay down during the game.
    KortniLeeana

Answer by KortniLeeana at 1:42 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Our park district offers soccer, dance and gymnastics for 3-5 year olds. And t-ball in the summer for 4-5 year olds. There are no "real" games. They just teach them how to play the sports.
    My 6yo did soccer last spring. She was 5 and the oldest kid in the class. Most of the other kids were 3 and 4 (but she acts younger then she is so she got along perfectly with them). All they did was drills on kicking the ball and then they would scrimmage which was really just every kid for themselves. It was hilarious to watch.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2009