Did you hear about the "Jena 6" teen who shot himself?

I guess those "Jena 6" teens were a bunch of criminals after all. I feel bad that he tried to kill himself but wow....after that cry for help he turns out to be just a thug. How sad. What do you think?
Here is the link to the story......

http://news.aol.com/article/jena-six-teen-shoots-self-survives/289452

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• A gang of 6 high school boys beat another student nearly to death for no reason whatsoever. That makes each one of them thugs to me.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Three white students hung nooses on a tree lovingly known as "the white tree" or "the prep tree" and expulsion was recommended but overturned b/c kids will play pranks and it was not a direct threat against anyone in particular. That's b.s. The kids said that it was supposed to be a prank against kids on the rodeo team and they had no idea of the racial relevance. Gimme a break! If that is true, then I want to know what kind of grades these young men were given in American History, where it is taught. I am by no means saying that the battery of one young man by six others was justified, but the ensuing angst was.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 8:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• cont'd These events led to the biggest civil rights rally in years and b/c it's okay for young white men to perform hate crimes but if young black men try to defend themselves b/c they feel that justice has failed them, it goes directly to an attempted second degree murder charge rather than the aggravated battery that it should have been? Somehow I think justice was/is a little one sided in Jena. Once again, I am not saying that the beating was the proper way to go but if we're slinging the word thug around how about the young white men who hung the nooses that started the wheels turning in the first place?
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 8:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• amen micrespo well said
    Anonymous

• The beating was 3 months after the noose event, and the young man beaten nearly to death was NOT part of the group that hung the nooses. I'm not saying the noose event was totally unrelated, and it most certainly should not have been ignored or glossed over by school officials like it was, but the kid that was beaten was beaten solely because he was alone and he was white and the 6 punk-thugs felt like beating on someone. And yes, it was tried as attempted murder because they put their hands on him. (They damn near killed him.) The nooses were simply hanging on a tree, not touching anyone.
    Anonymous

• Wow, this is something out of the long ago past. Surely they all know what the meaning of the noose is and what it represents. The boys should have been punished for hanging them in the tree. Regardless of race, the beating of another person is totally out of control in this fair land of ours and the laws are not tough enough. That is why people get beat and murdered everyday. Guilt is a terrible thing and I feel no sorrow for the guy trying to take his life. He did a terrible thing and has to live with it. Apparently it is too much for him.
    Anonymous

• "I want to know what kind of grades these young men were given in American History,"

YOU obviously missed a few lessons in American History yourself. Nooses were primarily employed in the west, used for the punishment of criminals, cattle rustlers, horse thieves and stage/train robbers. They were mostly white, too.
    Anonymous

• NO I didn't miss any lessons, primarily in our society, one that has been brought up with racial intolerance, the noose is very much known as a tool of hate. Once again, I did not say that the beating of the young man was justified. My point is a hate crime escalated b/c no action was taken to prevent it. Once again, is any one going to call the young white men, punk-thugs? BTW if they had damn near killed him, I doubt that he would've been released the same day.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 9:58 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Bell was in the news again after he was arrested on Dec. 24 and booked on charges of shoplifting, resisting arrest and simple assault, police said.

Police said Bell tried to steal several shirts and a pair of jeans from a department store and fled when a security guard and off-duty police officer tried to detain him. After they found him hiding under a car, Bell “swung his arms wildly” and one of his elbows struck the security guard with a glancing blow, according to a police report. He was freed on $1,300 bond.

He shot himself today because of this latest arrest on Dec 24th
    Anonymous

• I guess it really all depends on your views when it comes to a noose. I have never had hate for a black person just because they are black. My best friend in elementary school was a little black boy named justin. I loved him to death. When I think of a noose the first thing that comes to mind is hatred for women. Salem witch trials and the oppression of free thinking women. I know nooses were used in terrible historical events to murder blacks, but I just don't think of blacks when I see a noose. I think of innocent women being killed and its probably because I have love for the black people in my life and even the ones not in my life and I just can't imagine doing something like that to them.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2008