Get a baby to take a bottle

Help. My 6 month old son will not take a bottle. I have tried every bottle and nipple imaginable, and nothing works. He won't take formula or breast milk out of a bottle. Anyone else have this problem? Please let me know any possible solutions.

maestramommy

Asked by maestramommy at 7:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son never really liked bottles either. he was off of them by around 8 months old. now he uses PERMANT JUICE BOXES. they are at wall mart in the packed lunch isle. they work really well .
    revigue

Answer by revigue at 1:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• try a sipi cup then
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• well thats why you should always start with a bottle. breast milk is great, bt you dont always need to fee straight from the breast. You might have made it easier if you pumped and hten bottle fed it. Other than avice too late, i dunno what to suggest
    SLVN_Jen

Answer by SLVN_Jen at 8:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I had the same problem though me LO was a lot younger Have someone else feed your son, dont try to do it your self he is smell the breast milk and fight it even harder. I use Playtex nursers or dropins (there like the same thing) I had to start suppletmenting with formula and it took probbly about 3 weeks before he would take it from me. I would try first off only giving him one bottle a day during his least favorite feeding. Then as he gets more comfortable, about a week or so, take away another one. I hope this helps and if you need anything else and what to you can pm me for more info:)
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 8:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I agree with PP about letting someone else introduce the bottle. You will probably have to leave the room for it to work. I started with playtex also and found they are most like the breast (the brown laytex ones). Worse comes to worse you can switch cold turkey and your baby will eventually take the bottle when he is hungry enough. This happened to a friend of mine and their child would not take a bottle until they went on vacation (baby had no choice but to take a bottle while staying with the grandparents).
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Try a sippy cup, just make sure you get the kind that doesn't leak and see if he likes drinking out of it better.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:42 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• i breasfeed my baby an she wouldnt take to a bottle but we got event bottles,,id let her suck on me for a few secounds then i would switch real fast,put the bottle up there
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:51 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Thank you for the Juice Box tip revique. It has been the only thing that has worked. I never would have figured that one out on my own. THANKS!!
    maestramommy

Answer by maestramommy at 4:53 PM on Jan. 7, 2009