How do you carry out a sucessful drug intervention?

Ok, so my Uncle is planning an intervention for my mom on Wed. I need some advice on how to carry this out and what to plan for. Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Health

• Be prepared for an emotional event, but also don't be surprised if she acts like she doesn't give a damn. Be prepared for her to have an outburst of anger because she might feel like she is being ganged up on or looked down upon. Be understanding, but don't hold back. If it has hurt you in the past that she has used drugs then let her know. She needs to know how she has hurt everyone to see that her addiction is not just about her, it is hurting her whole family and all the ones that love her. Most of all, let her know that you love her and care enough about her that you want her to get better and for her to be around for all the great things in life (grandchildren, great grand children etc). My dad is a heroin/crack/meth addict, I know the pain you are going through
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 11:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Contact treatment centers in your area and ask for a professional interventionist. There used to be one at Harmony House in Estes Colorado. I talked to him several years ago. You can do one without professional help, but you really need to have your ducks in a row. Google it and find any info you can. I would also try to contact the treatment center named Hazelden in Minnesota. It is supposed to be one of the best. A doctor where I lives used to fly people out to it.

Anonymous

• I meant "live" not lives---
    Anonymous

• Make absolutely SURE everyone involved are in agreement on the consequences of NOT going to treatment. You also have to have a treatment center lined up and ready to take her. She could very well change her mind if given much time. I would also encourage the family to attend Al-Anon and read the co-dependency literature. Hazelden offers A LOT of material. Just remember, that addiction affects everyone close the addict and they need help also to learn to stop enabling the drinking. Praise God you have an uncle that is willing to step in and help:-)

Anonymous