What can I do? :(

I just called my ds a name bc he was just pushing my bottoms everyday he does his homework he'll ask me to check it...And evertime he gets mad at me and yells at me bc he says I always find something wrong...well yeah that's why you are bringing me your work so I may check it...well he does him homework like in 10mins. I check it and a soon as I say something he starts yelling at me saying I don't know nothing I get very upset at him and threw the paper and told him to get away but with the same breath I called him a stupid idiot he yells back saying he is not a SI!!! I do feel bad for saying this but damn he hit a nerve and it has been building up...I know I am going to get an earful from you ladies but keep to yourself, your telling me something I already know...tell me something I can do to make it better?....venting!!!

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sometimes moms need timeouts.

If you do not have the patience to assist your child in his homework please get DH, another family member etc to help him. If you call a kid stupid enough they will show you stupid!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• First, apologize to your kid for calling him a stupid idiot.

Then, have a discussion about what checking homework is about- what you look for, what he should expect.

And last, if you guys can't handle the homework thing, then don't check it front of him. Or have someone else- his dad maybe- do it. It sounds like your son is very insecure & very defensive & maybe you two aren't a good match in this situation, right now anyway.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 5:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• You are going to have to apologize and then learn better techniques for homework time. Tell him he has to work on his home work for 30 minutes before bringing it to you. In our home they have desks and do their homework once they are tweens, then go over it to check for errors, then bring it to me or my husband. When they recheck for themselves they are more likely to catch errors, then the hard questions they can bring to us for assistance.

Answer by gemgem at 5:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• When my kids did this to me I refused to check their homework. I also never pointed out the mistake. I told them your math assignment has two errors.

etc. If it was a long essy I might be nice enough to point things out. Though I taught them how to spell check early on.

When they yelled at me that I always found something wrong. I would tell them that is what I am paid for and since I haven't been paid, hmmmm do it yourself from now on.

I am not going to yell at you unless you defend his behavior. lol
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• Apologize and tell him that you will no longer check his homework if he is going to yell at you for finding errors. Let him turn it in and get the grade he gets. He will learn to slow down or let you check is homework without yelling at you.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2011