How Much Would I get for tanf in GA for 1 child? applying this friday.. Child Care Vouchers?

I live in Stone Mountain Ga and planning on applying for tanf for my 4 yr old .. iam currently recieving child support but iam inform that my sons father will be out of work soon.. so i wanted to apply for tanf to have an income that i can count on..i was informed by some that if ur on child support and recieve tanf that the tanf office will take ur child support to pay off the money they give you iam not too sure so i was wondering if there was any moms on here that live in my area or anyone who knows how tanf works to help me have a better understanding before i go apply this friday.. i just want to know how often u are paid and how much for one child and do they base it on ur income since my only income is child support and what are the requirements like job searching etc.. iam also planning on appling for child care vouchers and want to know the requirements on this also i know its alot to ask but since im not around hear iam not to sure of anything and would like some help..thank you in advance for taking the time to read and respond..all your help is greatly appreciated and i need as much info as i can before i go in friday..please and thank you

ProudMami1990

Asked by ProudMami1990 at 5:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• Child care varies a lot by income but it is a painless process. TANF is near impossible to qualify for.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• Child care you have have a job they do not pay for child care for job searches- stupid right? You should get like 30 days or something!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• TANF is NOT impossible to get! If your child support is unreliable then yeah TANF would be better probably. You always get it. And yeah they take whatever child support & apply to the TANF..you can not get both. Its one or the other. I am in another state so I dont know..but in missouri for one child its only $234. You could probably find a chart on line for your state to tell you how much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• I think it might be $225?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• In order to be determined eligible to receive TANF benefits, the following criteria must be met by the members of the assistance unit (family):

Age: A child must be less than 18 years of age (19 years if s/he is a full-time student).

Application for other benefits: A TANF applicant/recipient must apply for and accept other benefits (Unemployment Compensation, Workman’s Compensation, Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI), Child Support, etc) for which s/he may be eligible.

Citizenship: A recipient must be a citizen of the U.S. or a lawful resident alien.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• Deprivation: A child must be deprived due to:

Continued absence from the home of at least one parent
    Physical or mental incapacity of at least one parent
    Death of a parent

In a two parent family in which both parents are able-bodied, deprivation is established if one parent has a “recent connection to the workforce.”

Enumeration: All assistance unit members must have or apply for a Social Security number.

School Attendance: All children ages 6 through 17 who have not graduated from high school or who have not received a certificate of high school equivalency must attend school and have satisfactory attendance.

Anonymous

• Immunization: All preschool children must be immunized.

Income: An assistance unit’s countable, net income must be below certain established limits that are adjusted for the number of persons in the AU. A family must meet the financial criteria to receive TANF. For example, a family of three (mother and two children) must have a gross income below $784 a month and countable assets of less than $1,000.

Lifetime Limits: Receipt of cash assistance is limited to 48 months in a lifetime. The limit may be extended if it is determined that an extension is justified due to certain hardships, including domestic violence and physical or mental incapacity.

Anonymous

• Paternity: The AU must cooperate in the establishment of paternity. The paternity of a child must be established at application and whenever a child is added to an active case.

Work Requirement: All adult recipients have a work requirement, and are required to participate in

STATE OF GEORGIA REQUIREMENTS- they seem stiff to me but I am in Texas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• OH I missed a paragraph:
    Work Requirement: All adult recipients have a work requirement, and are required to participate in work activities and training for at least 30 hours weekly. These work activities help recipients gain the experience needed to find a job and become self-sufficient.

Cooperation with Office of Child Support Services is a requirement for receiving TANF benefits.

Note: A family receiving TANF for ten months might not receive increased cash assistance for the birth of additional children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• this would be my 3rd time applying for tanf cuz whenever i applied for tanf they would send me a letter stating that i did not qualify but now since iam recieving child support i thought i would have more of a chance to get it..iam 21 and have 2 kids i would have liked to apply for my daughter but since i live with her father im sure thats a no can do but for my son his father lives in boston and in the situation im in his child support is not cutting it i dnt work im a full time mom and my fiance is the one working..thank u all for helping me and it does suck that they dont provide daycare
    ProudMami1990

Comment by ProudMami1990 (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2011