No words at all, what to do?

My 16 month old say NO words. I know all kids are different but is none something to worry about? He will repeat "mama" if I say it, but doesn't call me that. What can I do? I read about 3 books a day to him, talk to him all of the time, and always play. Should we make an appointment or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no, he will be fine. if he repeats words. i dont think you have to worry about anything until he gets closer to 2yr old. Just keep working with him on repeating common words.......mama, dada, dog, cat, bath, drink, cup.
    youngmommy2-3

Answer by youngmommy2-3 at 8:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• If you are concerned, check with your pediatrician about calling Early Intervention.

Does he at least babble? If so, then there's less about which to be concerned.

An evaluation won't hurt and he might get some help with speech therapy which can only help him! If the help is available for our kids so they don't have to be behind, why not use it?

I have two in speech therapy...my 2 year old is severely delayed (didn't speak at all until 22 months) and my 3 year old is moderately delayed (large vocabulary and usage, but very poor articulation)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• As long as it is obvious he can hear you, he's fine. His doctor will want to see 10 to 20 words when he's 18 months - that's 2 long months away. And some perfectly normal kids don't have 10 words at that age, other normal kids have many more.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Anyone who says not to worry doesn't know what they are talking about. So if you have a concern then tell your pediatrician to make a referral to a speech therapist. Make it a request but really it is not. My son has a speech delay and did things that were similar. It could be nothing more than a slight delay to more serious issues. The earlier you get him evaluated the better. If he does have an issue then early intervention services are available to him and to you. Parents who say not to worry do not have children who have medical issues or speech issues. I noticed a problem at five months but we did not get therapy services until my son was closer to 10 months.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• cont..I work with children professionally and am always amazed at how laxed even doctors can be about getting services. But what never seems to fail is when a parent comes in they say, "I knew something was not right when Joey was __________ but everyone told me not to worry. I should have gone with my gut feeling." Hind sight is the only 20/20 vision we have. Even if he hears fine, and for my son his hearing is great, there can still be a problem. The above poster is incorrect. The reason: receptive language can be developmentally appropriate yet there can be significant impairments in expressive language.  Receptive language and expressive language are processed by the brain differently and are two separate operations of function.  When in doubt - see a specialist.  Just to get peace of mind.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• my daughter..shes 21 months.. she says momma daddy tree bubba baby... cheese.. thats about it.. tho she knows wat you are talking about when u tell her to do something... i talked to the ped. and she said call the school board.. they can get a speech therapist.. and where i am the school board pays for it..
    XKsmommy

Answer by XKsmommy at 8:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• First go to your pediatrician and discuss what's going on, they may refer you to a speech pathologist.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Holy Moly...when my daughter turned 2 she said about 8 words total!! Your child will be fine!!

Once my little girl was about 25 months or so she started spitting out a new word every week. It was truly amazing. Hang in there.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Just so you know, my daughter only had 4 or 5 words at 16 months. By 18 months, she had over 100. Now at 29 months she comes out with new words, new phrases, new sentences every day. At 16 months I was worried sick. My "gut feeling" was screaming that there was something wrong. All the other babies I knew that were her age were talking, mine wasn't. By her 18 month check up I was no longer worried.

Can "gut feelings" be wrong? Yes. If you are truly concerned and don't want to wait for his 18 month checkup, go see your pediatrician. If you are still concerned, pull out your phone book and go see a specialist. But my guess is that he's just fine - just like all the other perfectly normal kids out there who don't talk at 16 months.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2008