One of the kids has head lice

I need to know what to do! My head itches like crazy now just thinking about it

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 7:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Somehow, we managed to avoid lice (probably the only family on the block. Here are some remedies that I have held on to in case I need them. For prevention, mix 50% olive oil, 25% tea tree oil and 25% rosemary essential oil (you can get this at a health food store or Whole Foods); massage on scalp and leave on for 15-20 minutes. To cure, you can use mayonaise or coconut oil; put on the hair, wait about 30 minutes, and comb out with a flea comb from a pet shop; follow with the prevention spray. You will need to wash bedding, clothes, pillows, etc.
    Trader Joes has a great shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil and peppermint; these wouldn't hurt, and are great for adolescent, greasy, flakey, scalps.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2011

• strip al bedding bag all stuffed animals buy rid and bedding spray do the heads of all people put pillows in dryers on hot for 30 mins or so clean everything
    momand4kids

Answer by momand4kids at 7:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• we used vaseline it is much cheaper than the kits but the kits work great too bag up any stuffed animals to suffcate them WASH EVERYTHING!!!!!! but lice like clean hair cause they can move through it so vaseline and a shower cap will suffocate them now allowing them to move if you get the kits it will go much quicker but it is rough esspecially if you kid has long hair but there are kits ranging from 7-30 bucks a piece i would check everyone with a fine toothed comb and GL girl cause i know its a pain in the neck
    rebecca2012

Answer by rebecca2012 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• treatable with lice-killing shampoos and creme rinses u should get it out walmart or walgreen.
    u need to put everything im bag for a week sadly. clean everything that should kill the lice.

thats what my mom did when i was a kid
    BabyDove

Answer by BabyDove at 7:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• IF you put a lot of oil all through the hair and scalp it with soccocate them. Then wrap it up with an old towl or old shirtI got headlice from my cousins when i was little. my mom did this and it got rid of them over night. Their house was so infested there furniture had lice. NO JOKE!! Its better than the chemical shampoo. and safer.
    teenmommy31

Answer by teenmommy31 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• First of all breathe. The over the counter lice meds wont work. They might kill live lice (and some dont even do that because lice have grown resistant). My 6 yr old dd got it last year after sharing a baseball helmet with 2 little girls who had it. I used Listerine. Use the plain and put it in the hair for 1-2 hrs. Use a shower cap or seran wrap over it so they cant jump off & it suffocates them. Rinse the hair with white vinegar. Leave the rinse is an additional hour. This loosens the eggs. Then use a metal nit comb ($6.99 at Walgreens) and comb comb comb.
    Get your kids bedding, pillows, and clothes and wash them on hot. Put all stuffed animals in a black trash bag and suck the air out and put it in the closet for 2 weeks. Vaccum everything.

Answer by gemgem at 7:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• As an aside the information I got now says to keep things bagged for at least 30 days because the eggs can remain dormant that long.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 7:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• I was also told if you want to avoid everything in a plastic bag you can run whatever you can in a dryer on high through 2 cycles.

Answer by gemgem at 7:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• like rebecca2012 said we also used vasoline and make sure yu wash everything. its better to use jmo bc you arent useing all the chemicals on the kids. we buy the bedding spray though, also do not use conditioner on thier hair it coats the nits and the lice shampoos and things will not kill them. a doc told me that. just wash spay comb and vaccume ..vaccume everyday as much as poss, replace the bedding stuff everyday had was that too..good luck its alot of work but it dse pay off
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 7:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2011

• make sure you go though and get all the eggs out one by one or anything else you do is pretty useless
    ijsmomma

Answer by ijsmomma at 4:55 PM on Sep. 16, 2011