Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


This is a personal question, but I am actually thinking of applying for some kind of assistance, if you recieve Welfare (be it a monthly check(do they still do that?) or food stamps, how much do you get a month, and what size is your family? Again, I know this is personal, so thats why this should all be done anonymously :-)
If you do answer, thank you :-)

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Money & Work

Answers (13)
  • We get state assistance medical insurance on our children. We have CHP here, with is Colorado Health Plan. It is a co-pay style insurance with higher income guidelines than Medicaid. We don't qualify for anything else. But my stepson gets Food Stamps with his mom, even though my husband has custody and she only gets visitation. She doesn't work and claims only them, she gets $298. If I wasn't bringing in income and we could claim him on our application, which we can't because his mother does, we would qualify for food stamps, but would not get very much. The income guidelines in Colorado for a family of four for food stamps is like gross of $2500 a month or something close to that if I remember correctly.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • I'm on welfare and its not that bad. At first I was just receiving food stamps for a family of 2 ( you and your child) I get about 230 and I don't work but my daughter receives SSI and that's about 600. Now at the time I was living with my grandmother but we got put out. I didn't anywhere to go and I didn't want to be living from hotel to hotel. So I sign up for public housing. I'm not for sure how it works where you are at, but where I live Tanfe is the program where they used to give out the cheeks but not anymore. My advice is to you don't be ashamed if you need the help go get it. Because without it my child and I would be living on the streets.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • Well it depends on states and counties as well with the family size.Food stamps isn't actually completly considered welfare that's what my financial worker told me but cash assistance which would also be put on an EBT card as well as food stamps is. Also I don't know if all states provide this program, I think they do, but WIC is a great option ask about it at your government building.
    Heres a website that may help.(It includes a link for other states.) Good luck

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • In california i recieve $725 cash, $290 food stamps and medical. For 3 of us.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • We are in PA. We get $237 in foodstamps and healthcare for 4 people. But our income is only around $1600 a month right now.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • Why do u need 2 get on welfare? R U not able to work? welfare is there as a last resort type of thing.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • Public assistance should be short term. You should get a job before you just "go for this" like it is free money. As a tax payer I work, and pay for this. As I said, if you really are in need and qualify fine, but you sound like you may think this is an easy way to go. Life isn't always meant to be easy. Maybe you need to work two jobs. What about your education? I'm not knocking you, just saying you need to do a lot before doing nothing and staying at that level.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • I have a job, but it's only about 12 hours a week (min. wage), since I'm still in college, and obviously can't afford to put my child in daycare...

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • ladies as far as i know about welfare you have to work now days. i have no clue how much they give.
    so you should apply and hopefully they will help you with child care expenses so you can work because welfare is no life its a lazy way out. and where are the fathers. no disrespect.... i know men can be dead beats but they will go after the father for money so don't protect a dead beat dad! my friend works 2 jobs to take care of her daughter and herself no help from the dad.

    i always tell her to go after him/but he dont pay taxes so he gets away with it.


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • Note, this poster did not ask anyone how they feel about public assistance. Going to ask for help is NOT easy. And these days they do not allow you to just sit home and collect, you have to be productive. So back off! I have worked full-time since I was 16. I have paid taxes for the past 12 years to help in in such a situation...I am now in this same persons shoes. You never know how your life is going to turn out. Lose a job due to downsizing or injury, get pregnant unexpectantly, the father leaves, you have to move to an area with a horrible job market? Who ever thinks this will happen to them?!
    To the poster - It totally depends on your area and circumstances.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.