Science fair project question

What kind of project did you kid do for a 5th grade science fair??? I am lost I never had to do one when I was growing up!!!!

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 12:34 AM on Sep. 9, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• DD is measuring the heat and burn times of different oils.

Last year DS1 did an experiment on alfalfa seeds. He wanted to know which was the best for helping seeds to sprout - water, organic fertilizer or miracle gro. He kept really meticulous records and disproved his hypothesis. He won the whole fair. And for this year's project, I didn't understand enough of it to get more than "hare krishna" from it.

A girl in his class experimented with cake baking - what happened when you left out eggs or milk or baking powder.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:40 AM on Sep. 9, 2011

• As I was cleaning out our car yesterday, I came up wit a great one. I found a nasty old sandwich from a lunch bag. It was super moldy and gross!

What if you put sandwiches in ziplock bags and stored them in different places..under the bed...in the car... in the fridge... in the window and then keep track of them for two weeks. You could take pictures or just write the observations for each. Then at the end, you could staple the bags to the display board for effect. Nasty! But surely one a kid would love.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:46 AM on Sep. 9, 2011

• There are all kinds of fun projects here Virtual Science Fair and the library has a ton of great books about projects.

Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 12:54 AM on Sep. 9, 2011

• My dd grew bacteria..pretty cool
    BigMomm4

Answer by BigMomm4 at 12:46 AM on Sep. 9, 2011

• Another fun project with bread would be to put slices from different brands and see how they mold/decompose differently. Some won't do anything but get hard and other will go bad in a few days.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 12:56 AM on Sep. 9, 2011

• how about a science project about how magnets work? My dd did that last year and she has been the only one in the last 4 years that we know of. Everyone loved it and we had a ton of fascinated parents and kids around her board and display... google it and you'll find how it works. you'll need some batteries, a piece of metal and some VERY strong special magnets (which you can find at hardware stores). Also, google "5th grade science projects" and you'll see a ton of ideas. Our school also gives us a whole list of project ideas. Hope that helps.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 1:12 AM on Sep. 9, 2011

• A simple one my DD did in 4th grade was to build a volcano. A glass jar covered with papier mache, add baking soda to the jar and take vinegar or lemon juice in a separate container. When show time comes, she pours the vinegar or juice into the jar with baking soda....chemical reaction causes lots of fizz!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 10:08 AM on Sep. 9, 2011

• My boys have never had to do science fair projects, but when I was in school I did at 3 of them.
    I did the volcano when I was in 5th in grade.
    In 7th grade I predicted the weather patterns. I determine the direction and speed of the wind, reviewed the tempature with an outdoor thermator and even measured rain. I used the weather section in the paper to validate my findings. It was a fun project.
    In 8th grade I did a project on hereditary particularly the eye color. Which was interesting learning how genetics work and it was fun.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2011

• My DS used model rockets each painted with different paint to see its affect on the peak altitude each rocket reaches.
    clabk2000

Answer by clabk2000 at 10:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2011