Can someone help me find infomration about putting my 12 month old on 2% milk vs. whole? I need some information!

I am getting ready to swtich my baby from formula to milk. I'd like to put him on 2%. Is there any convinicing information that says whole is really that much better for brain development? I'm worried about the fat intake, but rather brain food!

Loveplusmama

Asked by Loveplusmama at 12:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Its important that they drink whole milk for the first year..then you can switch them to whatever your family normally drinks. Its good for their brain.
    mybabygirlz

Answer by mybabygirlz at 12:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I'm not sure but I think that whole milk is best for sure till they are a year. I never gave any ofe my babies whole milk at all, they went straight from formula to 2% They are fine and the doctors never said anything to me about it so idk...DO what you feel is best, if you feel you need to keep him on whole milk a little longer do it, if not dont.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• We had our son on 2% milk and the doctor asked us to put him on whole milk until he was 2 and then he can drink any kind you want to. He said all the vitamins at fatty intakes are great for Brain development(sp?)
    JamesMommy586

Answer by JamesMommy586 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Generally, you should have them on whole milk until 2, then you can reduce it to 2%. They need the fats in the whole milk to help with brain development. When my DD turned 2 in April, we switched her to 2% after talking with her pediatrician.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 1:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I have read that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends whole milk UNTIL age 2. There are additional nutrients in whole milk that aren't found in 2%, 1% or skim milk..
    Caitlynsmommy07

Answer by Caitlynsmommy07 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• cows milk not really ment for humans but ya have to so whole milk.
    and if you can get the stuff at a health food store u can get it without a lot of that stuff... check it out before you switch. and don't worrie about the fat thing!!
    Anonymous

• like MommyMel03...my daughter went from formula to 2%...she's almost 2 now and she's very healthy!...as long as you give your baby his daily vitamin then he should be fine...consult it with his doctor thoogh...
    JulieFrancesca

Answer by JulieFrancesca at 11:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My daughter is 2 and she is still on whole milk...we never drank 2% as kids and never worried about fat intake...I think whole is fine.
    1funkymomma

Answer by 1funkymomma at 9:27 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Mine have never had anything BUT 2%. Its what I grew up on, its what we drink. They can get the fats from other foods like fish stix and the like.
    Anonymous