What place if any should religion have...

in today's society? Does it matter if the person is in a position of power? Should leaders be judged by that? Or should religion be a private only issue?

CooksWife

Asked by CooksWife at 9:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I certainly don't want someone that is a satanist running the country if that's what you're asking.

Religion (or lack thereof) is a huge part of who we are.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I was just reading though some of the other posts here lately. I can tell that religion plays a huge role in people's lives... even those who are at odds over it. I get not wanting to isolate people. But it plays such a huge role in our individual lives, I am wondering how much of it is "our business" what other believe, espeically those in power.
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would never hide my love for the Lord, but I understand the question. I would hope that our leaders would be comfortable enough to follow their religion, because for most people, (any type of) faith is the backbone of their existence.
    mamma84

Answer by mamma84 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think religion should be a private matter but the fact is, it's not. Ones religion effects how they live their lives as a result a person in position of power most definetly will be judged by that because whether they want it to or not that individuals religion will ultimately effect the decisions they make. For example, if a catholic Senator (just throwing something out there) voted against gay marriage (again just throwing something out there) could they honestly say that their ability to make that decision was in no way based on their beliefs? Which brings the question how can you speak for the people if you only speak for one half or one three fourths, etc. So a person that has a position of power, whether we like it or not, will always be judged by their religion.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 9:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• i think it is important only in a general way. if their religion is "safe" then i don't care. but if they are members of a religion that thinks sacrificing children is okay or something along those lines then i would be very upset haha.

i dont think leaders should be judge by their beliefs so long as they aren't doing anything illeagal in their worship. i'll vote for anyone of any religion so long as they can lead objectively & not force their views on others...even if they're the same religion.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• smnice: I think you make an interesting point about how a person's beliefs can affect how they lead, AND how that can be good or bad.
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• okmanders: I think this is a huge problem with some religions. The desire to convert :) But when a person's morals are dictated by the religion they are raised in... I think sometimes the converting part gets confused and blurred in there. Idk if we have a moral obligation to convert as much as to represent our faith as one worthy of converting to by how we live our own lives... But I can see how some might be more pushy than that.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• a person should not be judged on his/her religion any more than a person should be judged on gender , skin color, or any thing else
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 9:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• In some sense religion can be a good thing.. it does help to instill some good morals.. but like smnice say it can also effect judgement on some major political issues as well. So yes, to an extent I think religion should remain a private matter.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• This country was founded on Christian beliefs and we are pulling them out of society to suit a few people that feel uncomfortable by it. I believe that religion plays a key role in the person that you are.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2008