OT/NT double standard (of sorts?)

Can anybody explain why, in the OT, murdered or tortured prophets begged God to strike down their enemies, but in the NT, it's all about praying for & forgiving your enemy? I can not understand this, no matter how much I reflect & study on it!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• We are taught to be like Jesus, right? Well, Jesus was SLOW to anger, but he did get angry when the time called for it. Anger is not a sin, if it is prideful and selfish then it is a sin. But anger at Satan? Not a sin. Anger at false teachers? Not a sin. Showing them the same grace I have been shown, that's what I am to do. BUT... I am also angry, just like God is angry, when people spread lies about his truth. God is a LOVING God, just like he was in the old testament, still a loving God. But he is also still an ANGRY God, who demands justice, same as in the new and old testament. There isn't any inconsitancy in God.. it's in teachers who don't fully teach scripture.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 4:58 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Because the bible was written by mortal men who obviously had conflicting ideals.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• the OT wssn't written by the same type individuals, nor was it written for the same reasons. the NT was written by disciples/direct followers of jesus. the first four books were accounts of jesus life here on earth, by four different men, who (as normal, with everyone's own witness to something) may have written about the same event, but perhaps emphasized different aspects; basically, though, same stories,just told different ways. then, the following are written to instruct the various churches of that time on various problems/concerns they might have been encountering, such as women's role in the churches, or how to deal with the roman empire/government, how to live christ-like among non-believers,etc. and lastly, prophesy..as in the latter books of the OT. not necessarily conflicting ideas, just different times, problems.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• The old testament is written under the dispensation of law. The new testament is written under the dispensation of Grace. Under Grace we deal with things spiritually not naturally. Alot of the physical enemies that you read about in the old represents our spiritual adversary (Satan and demonic forces) we fight in the new. Paul said our weapons of our warfare are not natural but spiritual. Read Ephesian Chapter 6
    Beeky: If you do not understand, please do not make assumptions about the men of God that were inspired to write it.
    Anonymous

• Thank you anon 8:41. I have Espesian at the ready for after I complete Mark
    Anonymous

• OT question: Can anybody explain why, in the OT, murdered or tortured prophets begged God to strike down their enemies, but in the NT, it's all about praying for & forgiving your enemy? I can not understand this, no matter how much I reflect & study on it!!

Yes, in the Old Testament you are dealing with human men. All humans are with sin. Wouldn't we be more inclined to ask God to strike down a group of people who are trying to kill us? Especially if it's a group of people we are trying to help and we're just obeying God? Doesn't make it right, but most of us would do it.

In the New Testament, we are dealing with Christ, the Son of God. Jesus was without sin. He served God's purpose and wasn't concerned with the effects that had on him personally. He showed us a true servant of God, do his will and let him deal with what happens. I hope this helps :-)
    MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 2:09 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• If you think the NT is all about praying and forgiving, you haven't read it fully...there's some nasty stuff in there as well.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 11:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Sorry, Mrshart6: You got it all wrong. The new testament fights and battles are all represenation of our new testament spiritual battles. The old testament is very signifigant to the old. If you ever notice Jesus refers to the old testament alot. It gives you more insight on our spiritual state.
    Mizkaye: I don' think you have a clue on what the new testament is even about.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 11:17 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Sis, I don't think YOU have a clue on what I'm about. I am fully aware of what is in the Bible. I was raised on it...I've read it multiple times...I own 7 Bibles. No, the problem isn't my lack of clues, trust me...it's my over-abundance of clues. I haven't always been an atheist. I spent a good majority of my life as an evangelical Christian...JUST. LIKE. YOU. I have said so many of the same things that I see you say in your postings...been there, done that.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 11:25 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Sis, Jackson, can you tell me exactly what I got wrong? (I'm really not being sarcastic here)

She asked why did the Prophets of the Old Testament pray for God to punish their enemies and why in the New Testament did Jesus preach love and forgiveness. The prophets in theOld Testament were human, Jesus is not. The Prophets failed to serve God with no concern of themselves, Jesus did that perfectly. Are these statements what you feel I have all wrong?
    MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 31, 2008