Switch from breastmilk to formula?

My son is about a mo old and I am breastfeeding him.He has horrible gas and it seems like his tummy is always upset. Now I drink soy milk, nothin spicy or any foods they tell you to keep away from and it doesn't seem to matter. I was thinking of switching to formula so it is a consistant milk for him. He is not loosing weight...but is this a good idea or should I stick with breastfeeding? HELP!

itsaboy1208

Asked by itsaboy1208 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• stick with breastfeeding... its the healthiest for him and if he's not loosing weight on it, then he should be okay... try going without the soy milk and see if that makes a difference...
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 9:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• You can always alternate breast milk and formula if you really don't want to stop breastfeeding. I would call your PED and ask his/her opinion on what you should do. I wish you the best.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• You will only regret your decision to switch. There is nothing gentler and more able to digest then breastmilk, PERIOD, there is no argument with this one. If your child is having troubles with breastmilk formula will only intensify the problem in a very extreme way. There is no question what is best for baby and that is to continue breastfeeding. If you are supplementing at all this could be your problem and it should be stopped asap!  Good Luck and know that by breastfeeding you are doing best by baby (especially in this situation).

Anonymous

• I also think that you should stick with it. Every baby is gassy and has a few tummy problems that bother them. I would suggest that you keep a food diary and see if you can find out what the culprit is and maybe start eliminating things to figure it out. Stick with it. You can do it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My youngest was like that. I had him supplementing with some formula also to keep him more hydrated and for when I had a sitter. Wellll I was worried about the gas so I tried a different formula: OMG. I have never heard him cry like that, even to this day. My sm was surprised I was so concerned... she said both her babies were like that because she didn't bf. I am not saying that women who formula feed are all wrong... But most veterans (Hehe her kids are in their teens now) will tell you they wish they had more education on breast back then. Colic was unbelievable for many of them.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• As far as your own diet. I'd go back to eatting normally then take things out one by one. Just depriving yourself all at once isn't going to help. Do a week without milk and see if it gets better. Then start back the milk and do a week without something else. I found out with my oldest that my hairspray was bothering him :) It could seriously be anything... maybe even not breastfeeding related, kwim? Maybe even get on the LLLI website and see if you can find someone near by to talk to... someone with experience that can help you navigate through the gas :)
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Stick with the BM...you will never regret it at all...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• if you wanted to you could try mixing breast milk with formula and see if it does help.
    Elly219

Answer by Elly219 at 9:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I switched at 4 months and the gas problem really didnt change much. I had cut out all dairy, coffee, chocolate and some veggies- nothing worked either!! I used Mylicon drops at every feeding- that is the only thing that seems to helped her. Now she is 6 months and no gas problems at all. Also, if you want to switch to formula, then you should. Dont let people make you feel bad for switching. Doctors recommend breastfeeding for at least 6 weeks, after that, your baby can make his own antibodies:)
    danahj79

Answer by danahj79 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My daughter was like that for the first two months....I changed my diet, fed her exlusively on bm and she still had horrible gas! One day she just woke up and it was all gone. It seems like it's something they just grow out of. When I fed her formula it seemed to make it waaaay worse! Just know that this too shall pass, it takes awhile for their digestive system to work out the kinks. In my case, two months.
    StaceyBee

Answer by StaceyBee at 9:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2008