can a baby get a rash from using aveeno lotion or johnsons baby oil?

my 1 year old son has gotten a rash on his legs recently, so to test what's causing it, i put aveeno lotion on one of his legs and he did break out in little red bumps. but then since his skin is pretty dry on his legs, i thought of putting johnson's baby oil. two days later, i noticed bumps on his other leg. anyone have advice on what could be happening here? will call ped tomorrow but i'm just feeling so anxious now, was hoping anyone had ideas. thanks in advance!

shinbi

Asked by shinbi at 9:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes they can. I breakout with baby oil.
    Ann7227

Answer by Ann7227 at 9:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• a rash. i would stop using it. a baby can get a rash from anything.. so can any other person.
    Anonymous

• I would stop using it and call the pedi in the am. I would also try some different lotions.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My son has had a rash and I have actually been using that and it helped clear it up. He just recieved a lot of new clothes for his birthday and Christmas and I did not wash a few of the outfits prior to him wearing them and I noticed it. Now that I have washed everything it has cleared up a lot. I don't know if this helps you any but I noticed the same with my son. Maybe use Dreft to wash his clothes.
    DStephens7

Answer by DStephens7 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My son broke out in rashes when he was first born and I just started testing things. I talked with his pediatrician and she said to stop using all baby products and only use Dove bar soap for sensitive skin unscented. It is for adults. It worked great for my son and we never had any problems again and he is now 18 months old. I have tried to reintroduce baby products because i have a ton from my baby shower but he still has issues with some of the baby products. My pediatrician explained that babies don't need all the lotions and potions, there skin is naturally oiled an that it is best to give them a bath every other day so there natural oils can come out. If you have issues with diaper rash just use vaseline. Now I can use Aveeno unscented products but I still cant use Johnson products. Your baby just has sensitive skin and maybe eczema as does my son.
    Shannon0622

Answer by Shannon0622 at 12:28 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Yes I break out from baby oil as well. Try some Johnson's baby lotion. I like them best. I also have put desitin mixed with creamy vaseline on my sons legs for he gets really dry skin (he has excema). It works really well. I do it at night after a bath and before bed.
    momfourboys

Answer by momfourboys at 12:58 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• I wouls just not put anything on him till you talk to the dr. My son was like that too it was because of all the johnsons products, he can onl use aveeno.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 2:38 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• http://cbs11tv.com/national/baby.shampoo.chemicals.2.645105.html Yes rashes can come from these products.
    skywatcher1973

Answer by skywatcher1973 at 4:13 PM on May. 28, 2009