endless diaper rash

Well..I have a 1yr old GIRL..now when saying she has diaper rash constantly I mean she has it CONTANTLY...we change her often use desitin and have tried vaseline too..she is sooo extremely sensitive down there that nothing helps..if I don't catch her as soon as she poo poos and I do mean like immediatly and it sits for even a few minutes when I change her she has open sores down there..and she screams when I try 2 clean it..and sometimes it even bleeds....im not sure yet but she may get sum scarring its been that bad at times but she's too little 2 tell for now..maybe she needs something prescription strength? But im so lost I never had this with my son..and we do change her often..any advice? Pediatrician?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes I'd talk to your pediatrician. What she has may not be a reg. diaper rash it may be a yeast rash -- kinda like a yeast infection or athletes foot, its fungal in nature and hard to get rid of.

Also, have her be w/o a diaper as much as possible.
    sunlight is another wonder cure-- put her w/o a diaper in sunlight for as much as possible.

When changing her and its bad DON"T USE WIPES -- just water maybe some mild soap and your hand .
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• my son has bad rashes once in a while and what i do now is keep a box of kleenex by the changing area and always use it to make sure he's bone dry before applying desitin cream (that seems to work the best for us and has a very high zinc oxide %). i also put a really thick glob of cream on when he has a bad rash. when i pat dry him with kleenex i also sprinkle a little cornstrarch on him to REALLY make sure he's dry too. And when he's at a peak of a rash and in pain, i only use water to clean him - no wipes. i think if you haven't tried cornstartch as part of your routine, it's definitely worth a try. not sure where you live, but try Castle Connelly's website for a ped referral if you don't know of another ped in the area. Good luck and hope you and your baby hang in there.
    shinbi

Answer by shinbi at 11:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• a&d is the best thing for diapers rashes. The original not the other one. My daughter has had some pretty bad one and it cleared them up .Plus it work on cuts scrapes too
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would definitely ask your pediatrician. My son had a diaper rash and i noticed that it was different. I thought it looked like athletes foot (i was an athlete). I asked his ped and sure enough it was the same thing just in a different area and she gave me a prescription and it went away in a week. I also noticed that my son would get bad diaper rash after eating or drinking certain things. I had to cut orange juice out of his diet because he couldn't handle the acidity. Your daughter may even be allergic to something that she is eating and it is just not showing up anywhere else. Try and change things in her diet and see if you notice a difference. Your pediatrician may even be able to test her for allergies.
    Shannon0622

Answer by Shannon0622 at 12:21 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• MY DAUGHTER HAS HAD SOME PROBLEMS WITH REALLY BAD DIAPER RASH. SHE ACTUALLY JUST GOT OVER ONE, HER DOCTOR PERSCRIBED HER SOME STUFF CALLED "RILEY'S BUTT CREME" AND THAT WORKED FOR THE FIRST ONE, BUT THIS LAST ONE WAS WORSE SO I STARTED USING "TRIPPLE PASTE" ASK YOUR PHARMACIST. AND AFTER I PUT THAT ON I PUT "GOLD BOND BABY POWDER" TO KEEP HER MORE DRY DOWN THERE. IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!! IM GLAD IM NOT THE ONLY ONE I THOUGHT I WAS DOING SOMETHING WRONG, ITS GOOD TO HAVE SOMEONE WITH SIMILAR ISSUES
    k10ann7

Answer by k10ann7 at 12:38 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• try and switch your brand of diapers. my kids were allergic to certain ones, my daughter couldnt use anything but pampers, and my son is the same way but has to have huggies, i tried the cheaper brands and it is even worse. and my ped said not to use huggies wipes, they are too abrasive, he said to just spend the extra and get pampers, they are softer and more gentle.
    Bellakat456

Answer by Bellakat456 at 1:07 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• She may have a yeast rash and it requires a prescription and trust me you are not the only one who has went through this.. my son got it once and it was horrible but I took him to the doctor and she gave him "nystatin" and within days it was gone. Hope this helps.
    neverwrong8682

Answer by neverwrong8682 at 1:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• my daughter had this problem that occured often. took her to the dr and it turned out to be a yeast rash. the doctor prescribed something called nystatin..its a antifungal...exactly like the athletes foot antifungal you by from the drug store..a quick fix if you cant get to the dr right away....by the antifugal creme in the athlete foot aisle, apply nickel size to rash..let it soke in skin for a minute or two..then apply regular diaper rash creme like desiten...pharmacist in CVS told me this..it works fast!!
    kiyad22

Answer by kiyad22 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My daughter had the same issue. After talking to her pediatrician he recommended Aquaphor/maloxx. You can get it in a prescription it is $12 or you can mix it yourself 50/50. 1-2 applications and her rash is gone. I had tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked for her. This is the greatest stuff. I will never use anything else.

singlemom5481

Answer by singlemom5481 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 31, 2008